• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Production and Shipping Delays of New Bikes

sapphireblue

I am interested in knowing if anyone here has had issues with significant delays in waiting for a new bike. I ordered a bike in March of 2021, with a delivery time on April 2021 (end of April). So far, I have no bike. I have heard on another BMW forum that there are customers that have been waiting since December 2020 and January of 2021 for bikes. BMW has no information on shipping/delivery of bikes and dealers are left wondering when their orders will appear.

Has anyone had this experience?

#BMWshippingdelay

A friend ordered a S1000RR in November and when I talked to him a couple weeks ago his bike was still on the boat at a NY harbor.

A friend ordered a S1000RR in November and when I talked to him a couple weeks ago his bike was still on the boat at a NY harbor.

Whoa - Still on a boat in NY Harbor?? Good grief! Has your friend called BMW to inquire what the issue is?

The bike was unloaded this week but he can't get any more info.
ry calli

If he has a production # or VIN # he can try calling:

BMW Genius 1.844.4GENIUS (443-6487)
OR
Call: (1-800) 831-1117

Say “Vehicle Production Status” when prompted…

It is my understanding that dealers are not getting information on bikes that are incoming, yet some customers are getting *some* information with digging in to the above number. There are a number of reasons so far for the delay: lack of shipping containers, ships that were out of position due to being held up in the Suez, and lack of truck drivers. All of these reasons seem 'reasonable' however, what is unacceptable is BMW corporate is not updating/communicating with dealers so that dealers can communicate with their customers. The information that I have gotten so far is from customers on other forums that are frustrated with the lack of information from BMW NA/USA

I can accept the truth on a situation, but I am not accepting the answer of "we don't know when, its all a mess".

If there are others who have been waiting for a bike, it would be good to know.

Great resource!

I am eagerly awaiting delivery of my new R1250RT… ordered back in early May. Dealer had received VIN on June 2, suggesting a 4 to 6 week timeframe. I called the second phone number from Sapphire’s post above and learned the bike has actually arrived at the port in New Jersey, and is supposedly on its way to the transfer center, wherever that is! I am actually quite impressed with the helpfulness of the BMW USA staff I spoke with. I’m hoping I’ll hear from the dealership any day now!
Awesome forum and resource! Thanks!

my dealer is full with bikes

I am interested in knowing if anyone here has had issues with significant delays in waiting for a new bike. I ordered a bike in March of 2021, with a delivery time on April 2021 (end of April). So far, I have no bike. I have heard on another BMW forum that there are customers that have been waiting since December 2020 and January of 2021 for bikes. BMW has no information on shipping/delivery of bikes and dealers are left wondering when their orders will appear.

Has anyone had this experience?

#BMWshippingdelay
BMW of palm coast FL is full with bikes

I ordered an RT early October. The day I ordered it I had a production number and production week. The production week was five weeks from order. I got a phone call that the code was changed to “in production” right on time.

Dealer said in a few weeks I will get a container number and more information.

I was told right up front, figure 12 weeks

Not sure about your comment stating that dealers are left wondering when their orders will appear. That can get all the same info as if they were calling the numbers that were listed. Probably more since they can access the site directly

Now if the dealer ordered a bike and they do or did not have an allocation left for that bike, then it’s a whole other story

Shortages whether real or perceived can drive sales. Some of the vehicle manufacturers, cars and pickups, are advertising to place an order for their next vehicle and they will be placed at the head of the line for the build.
I don’t really know if this makes any real difference. :dunno

Funrace27, Welcome to the forum!

Gary

Our bikes were produced August 24 and 25th. I ordered them early July.
When I ordered them they estimated production would be late August and they were correct.
They arrived seven weeks after they were made.

Shortages whether real or perceived can drive sales. Some of the vehicle manufacturers, cars and pickups, are advertising to place an order for their next vehicle and they will be placed at the head of the line for the build.
I don’t really know if this makes any real difference. :dunno

Funrace27, Welcome to the forum!

Gary

When I called the shop early July they had just got an allocation for a 2022 RS. They said when they marked that bike as sold it's production date was moved up.

Last edited:
Back