Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Building a tool kit for my R1200RT

Jvb

JimVonBaden has a website that has a massive amount of resources including a detailed list of the tools needed to work on the boxers. Well worth a look. I've purchased his service videos and its totally worth it.

http://www.jimvonbaden.com

Dang I forgot the most important thing.

Join the BMW MOA and buying one of their roadside assistance plans.

So I amend the list:

Phone.
    Tire repair kit.
    Credit Card.
    BMWMOA Membership/Road Side Assistance Plan.
    The above is worth what you paid for it..........
    Lee 2017.5 R 1200 GSW

Quote Originally Posted by ccolwell View Post
    Since you have bags, the one thing I would include (and do on my 1250) is a tire pump. I expect it will be much better than CO2 cartridges although I'll be happy to never find out. Having been an airhead rider, I pretty much carry what was in that kit minus the specialty tools and plus torx/allen heads, tire repair tools and plugs. In the past 20 yrs or so, I've mostly gotten my kit(s) out to tighten battery connections and the occasional turn signal or switch that's come loose. And most of those on other people's bikes. Oh, and the fuel injector body that blew off a rental R1100R in Austria when it backfired through the injector on start up (don't open the throttle when starting an FI bike). That I fixed with my Swiss Army knife.
    That is contrary to my 2018 1200RT owners manual which specifically suggests slight throttle when cold starting.

Quote Originally Posted by rolyfisher View Post
    That is contrary to my 2018 1200RT owners manual which specifically suggests slight throttle when cold starting.
    I believe I opened it more than 'slightly.'
    '13 690 Duke, '13 Daytona 675R, '18 Street Triple RS, 2020 R1250R, '19 Ninja 400 (track bike), '21 Duke 890R (gone but not forgotten: '61 Clubman's Gold Star, '76 R75/6, '84 R100, '76 R90S)

#1 CyclePump Expedition
    #2 flat repair kit
    #3 snap on mini ratcheting screw driver with various Torx bits and philips bit
    #4 Marc Parns tool for coils and front wheels
    #5 2 spare spark plugs and thin wall deep socket for them
    #6 half dozen ZipTies
    #7 leatherman multi tool
    #8 antigravity start battery
    Of all the things I carry, start battery and tire pump are the only things I’ve used(and not for my bike)
    I also have a spare key Fob battery

Choosing a torque wrench for R1200RT

I’ve just bought 2014 1200RT, and I think it’s time for me to have a torque wrench, rather than my own “best judgment”, which is what I’ve used on previous bikes. I’d prefer 3/8 inch drive… is there one you would recommend that could cover most simple maintenance needs on this bike?

I would suggest compiling a tool kit round what you may need to do on the road, rather than having enough gear to do a full strip and service of the bike.

Quote Originally Posted by bobinri View Post
    I’ve just bought 2014 1200RT, and I think it’s time for me to have a torque wrench, rather than my own “best judgment”, which is what I’ve used on previous bikes. I’d prefer 3/8 inch drive… is there one you would recommend that could cover most simple maintenance needs on this bike?
    I have been very happy with my Craftsman Torque wrenches. I don't drop them or treat them roughly and I always zero before putting away. But this reminds me I probably should get them all calibrated.

Jay
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” - Hunter S. Thompson

Tool Rolls?

So, this past weekend I found two bolts missing that hold on my Wunderlich crash bar on side of the bike. I went over the bike and found other loose fasteners. I have been putting together the tools for a kit and have a 1/4-inch ratchet a collection of sockets, torx, hex, and trying to see what open/box end wrenches I will add. As I accumulate this menagerie of tools, I am now wondering what you all use to hold them all and where you carry them on your bikes? I like the idea of a tool roll but just don't know which to get. any suggestions?
    “Faster, Faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.” - Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by motor10 View Post
    So, this past weekend I found two bolts missing that hold on my Wunderlich crash bar on side of the bike. I went over the bike and found other loose fasteners. I have been putting together the tools for a kit and have a 1/4-inch ratchet a collection of sockets, torx, hex, and trying to see what open/box end wrenches I will add. As I accumulate this menagerie of tools, I am now wondering what you all use to hold them all and where you carry them on your bikes? I like the idea of a tool roll but just don't know which to get. any suggestions?
    At the rally in Great Falls I looked at a nice tool roll by Mosko, the pricing seem high but good quality. https://moskomoto.com/collections/mo...nner-tool-roll. If you don't have extra tools around I'd consider buying https://smile.amazon.com/CruzTOOLS-R...s%2C231&sr=8-2

mm:rolf
    Quote Originally Posted by ccolwell View Post
    I believe I opened it more than 'slightly.'
    :rolf

Quote Originally Posted by bobinri View Post
    I've been pleased with my three Harbor Freight click-type torque wrenches. I've tested them repeatedly (see YouTube) and always found them to be accurate within 2%. Actually, the 1/4" and 1/2" sizes arrived within 1%, and I adjusted the 3/8" (again, see YouTube) from 2% to about 0.75%. Similar Snap-On models are only guaranteed to be within 4%. None have changed in the ten years or so I've been using them. Their readings match my 3/8" beam wrench and my 1/2" digital torque adapter. At $20 bucks each, I'd suggest you get all three to cover any foreseeable needs.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by motor10 View Post
    I did a search and only found one thread for tool kits and it was for air-heads but wanted more info. I am putting together a tool kit to carry onboard. I am not 100% sure of what to put together so I figured I would ask.

For those of you with wet-heads, what tools do you carry and how?

Thanks in advance.

Jay
    Yeah, you don't need to carry anywhere near the tools that you did for an airhead. On those bikes you could actually repair a number of things and get going again. An example would be the diode board, alternator rotor, points on the early airheads, bulbs and so on. On the newer 1200 and 1250s there's much less you can fix on your own and when you have to, you actually need fewer tools. I've seen a lot of good suggestions on this thread like the torx set that I'm going to add. I already carry an air compressor & patch kit at all times and I have a NOCO lithium starter battery (similar to anti gravity) that I take on long trips. On the newer bikes, if your battery fails in such a way that it cannot provide any voltage you won't get the bike to run after a jump start. The lithium battery starter can fill in for the battery to get you home. Paul Glaves has a little experience with this. Finally, I take my GS-911 WiFi with me.
    Scott Taranovich
    McKinney, Texas
    2019 R1250RT

Quote Originally Posted by taran1900 View Post
    ...On the newer bikes, if your battery fails in such a way that it cannot provide any voltage you won't get the bike to run after a jump start. The lithium battery starter can fill in for the battery to get you home. Paul Glaves has a little experience with this. ...
    This might work, but it is probably a bad idea. I've have had a few of these jump starters, and all the manuals are sprinkled with warnings to disconnect the jump pack quickly once the engine starts.

The Micro-Start XP-10 manual, for example, includes these instructions:
    This jump starter is not designed
    to be used as a replacement for a vehicle’s battery.

- Do not use as a replacement battery for vehicles.
    - Do not leave the XP-10 connected to vehicle. Remove within 40 seconds of
    starting vehicle.

- Make sure to remove the product from the vehicle battery within 40 seconds
    of Jump-Starting

6) Start your vehicle, leave it running. Once the vehicle starts disconnect the
    Clamps and XP-10 within 40 seconds of starting. DO NOT LEAVE ATTACHED

-DO NOT LEAVE THE MICRO-START UNIT CONNECTED TO THE VEHICLE!

I think the issue is that once the engine starts, the alternator is supplying charging current to the battery pack that it is not designed to handle. Which is why this warning is also included:
    NEVER USE ANY OTHER CHARGERS THAN THOSE PROVIDED. FIRE,
    EXPLOSION, PERSONAL AND PROPERTY DAMAGE MAY OCCUR.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by lkraus View Post
    This might work, but it is probably a bad idea. I've have had a few of these jump starters, and all the manuals are sprinkled with warnings to disconnect the jump pack quickly once the engine starts.

The Micro-Start XP-10 manual, for example, includes these instructions:
    This jump starter is not designed
    to be used as a replacement for a vehicle’s battery.

- Do not use as a replacement battery for vehicles.
    - Do not leave the XP-10 connected to vehicle. Remove within 40 seconds of
    starting vehicle.

- Make sure to remove the product from the vehicle battery within 40 seconds
    of Jump-Starting

6) Start your vehicle, leave it running. Once the vehicle starts disconnect the
    Clamps and XP-10 within 40 seconds of starting. DO NOT LEAVE ATTACHED

-DO NOT LEAVE THE MICRO-START UNIT CONNECTED TO THE VEHICLE!

I think the issue is that once the engine starts, the alternator is supplying charging current to the battery pack that it is not designed to handle. Which is why this warning is also included:
    NEVER USE ANY OTHER CHARGERS THAN THOSE PROVIDED. FIRE,
    EXPLOSION, PERSONAL AND PROPERTY DAMAGE MAY OCCUR.
    Yes they say that. And yes, I ignored it to get a few miles home. And yes, there is a big diode in the wiring harness used to connect the battery pack to the bike which in theory prevents the alternator overcharging or even just charging the battery pack.

Do I recommend doing this? Nope! Did I do it? Yep! Should anybody else? Their call!
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/