Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cardo or Sena?

Been happily using a pair of Sena smh10's for roughly ten years. Running an open circuit to passenger, streaming or chatting almost every ride without issue. I did learn early on to leave them on the helmet or the connecting pins will wear out. I have no experience with other brands or a need to. Integrates with BMW radio although I hardly ever use it.

Sena 20S has been reliable and trouble free when it's just me and the music player. Hard to connect with a cardo and most people I ride with had cardo's.

When my brother and I were going to take a long trip together, I bought Cardo PTB pair for mine and a spare helmet should I take a pillion. He bought the cardo PTB and when we connected up, the pairing took all of 15 seconds and we were on the road.

Cardo nor Sena seem to have the reach both suggest is possible, but both seem reliable out to 400 yrds or so most of the time.

I'm happy with the Sena when riding alone [ now a 3rd helmet ] and cardo if I'm hooking up with my brother or taking a pillion along. Both cardo's are paired with my brothers, and I take the spare with me on the off chance one goes down. He does the same.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

All things being equal, Cardo has a very good discount for MOA members. Check the MOA website for details.
    Jim Nyffeler (Nyfty)
    2017 R1200RTW, 2018 G310GS
    BMWMOA 110521, IBA 8936
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Quote Originally Posted by nyfty View Post
    All things being equal, Cardo has a very good discount for MOA members. Check the MOA website for details.
    Thanks, I just checked into it. Too bad you need to buy direct from Cardo, and the discount is off of full retail. I have a price from a friend that has a shop and online store. His price is within a few dollars of the MOA discount from Cardo.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I recently purchased Cardo pack talk bold and installed in Bell modular SRT. The JBL speakers that come with Cardo are excellent.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Thanks, I just checked into it. Too bad you need to buy direct from Cardo, and the discount is off of full retail. I have a price from a friend that has a shop and online store. His price is within a few dollars of the MOA discount from Cardo.
    Can’t really have manufacturers undermine dealers. I have found it very typical to have direct specials close to dealer specials. Sorta has to be.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

So… maybe this is an important factor for your consideration:

As it turns out, the Sena 50 [really] isn’t waterproof… while the Cardo Pactalk Black is.

I got caught out in the rain on the MSF range last weekend, so I put the headset away in the charging pocket. The headset seemed to be fine on and after the ride home when we were caught in another squall, so I plugged it into its charger.

The next morning, I came back to the charger, and found the headset was extremely hot to the touch, and the USB C connector had started to deform.

Looking inside, it’s clear that the battery had failed overnight, clearly from the battery becoming wet.

I’ve owned my 50s for almost exactly one year. I’ll try to see if I can get a replacement, and report back either way, but I’m nearly certain my money is sunk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have found comments on the Sena and not being water resistant and the Cardo Packtalk being much better in that regards.

I have a J&M CB radio on the bike, but it is giving me some problems and it is probably getting replaced with a Cardo Packtalk.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Follow-On: I’m getting full replacement, apparently!

The Sena Online Support Chat was awesome, and there was zero issues with asking for a replacement. They just wanted pics of the damage.

Sena has a 2-year warranty, and apparently this is covered… I forgot to ask if they are designed to be ‘waterproof’ as the Cardo claim, however.

One other thing I should mention about the Sena: I have nasty tinnitus, and so rely on my in-ear custom-formed ear plugs to save my hearing. Luckily, I was able to order them with good headphones molded in, so I can both keep out unwanted pressure waves, and pipe in good music.

The 50s and 30s use the Sena universal modular base, which has a killer-app feature: a headset Jack.

Their other killer-app feature for me is that those headsets are separable from my helmet, and so charging is a breeze.

Quote Originally Posted by n6qr View Post
    Follow-On: I’m getting full replacement, apparently!

The Sena Online Support Chat was awesome, and there was zero issues with asking for a replacement. They just wanted pics of the damage.

Sena has a 2-year warranty, and apparently this is covered… I forgot to ask if they are designed to be ‘waterproof’ as the Cardo claim, however.

One other thing I should mention about the Sena: I have nasty tinnitus, and so rely on my in-ear custom-formed ear plugs to save my hearing. Luckily, I was able to order them with good headphones molded in, so I can both keep out unwanted pressure waves, and pipe in good music.

The 50s and 30s use the Sena universal modular base, which has a killer-app feature: a headset Jack.

Their other killer-app feature for me is that those headsets are separable from my helmet, and so charging is a breeze.

The Cardo Speaker lead has a standard 3mm jack which you can easily plug your headset into.
    The Cardo is also easily removable from the headset mount for charging.
    The Cardo IS Waterproof
    The only dumb question is the unasked question!

Team Pterodactyl - When we ride, we ride!

Cardo and slightly off topic

I tried out Sena a couple years ago and now running two Packtalk bold on my RT.

The off topic portion is we are always struggling with comms on racing sailboats. The pactalk bold holds up to a Pounding in salt water ocean conditions for what its worth

Motorrad in Germany recently did a very comprehensive test on bluetooth comm units which included the top of the line Cardo and Sena units. They even dunk test the units.

https://www.motorradonline.de/zubeho...otorradfahrer/

The Google English translation is pretty decent. I was surprised to see the Sena 50s come out on top. I have one because my wife's comm unit in her Schuberth. I have actually been very pleased with the 50s. Audio quality is great, there are no glitches, no water intrusion, and the automatic firmware updates via the dongle is great. I have been through a few deluges with the unit and have had no problem. When I first got the unit, there were glitches, but they have disappeared with the updates. I have never used a Cardo so I can't speak to how it compares, but I am very satisfied with the 50s.
    Scott Taranovich
    McKinney, Texas
    2019 R1250RT

I had the Sena 20S and now the Cardo Packtalk Bold. Hands down the Cardo is better. The 20S never quite did the music-intercom swap very well. And it would drop riders in the group all the time. Maybe newer Senas are better. The Cardo uses Dynamic Mesh Communication vs Bluetooth for communication.
    “I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.”- Mark Twain
    Past bikes: 2001 Kawa ZR750S, 2002 VFR, 2006 V-Strom, 2008 FJR

I had a pair of Sena 20s headsets - my pillion and I were riding in the rain when she screamed at me PULL OVER AND GET THIS HEADSET OFF OF ME!!!!
    Water intrusion caused it to repeat "Say a command.. ..... CANCEL...." over and over at full volume.

Yanked them off hte helmets and got Cardo PackTalk Bold w/JBLs and haven't looked back.

Sena even said the 20s was water RESISTANT - Cardo on the other hand shows them running inside a container of water at motorcycle shows (back pre-covid anyway LOL)

Dave