• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Cardo or Sena?

PoorUB

I have a 2018 R1200RT. I searched the sight a bit, but no luck on answering my question. I am looking for an intercom to listen to the motorcycle radio, talk with my passenger, and possibly another rider, realizing the other rider may need the same system. Long on time is a must. No desire to link with the GPS or my phone.

I looked at the Sena 50S and it looks like it will do what I want. I intend to look at the Cardo options too, but thought I would ask what riders here recommend.

It seems to me that pretty much any brand will do what I need.

Any input?

Was a Sena guy for years. Switched to Cardo. Much better. All my riding buddies made the switch including one guy who had recently purchased a Sena 50S. We all agree that the seamless mesh connections are superior on the Cardo.

Cap

I use the SRC System made by Cardo.
Very reliable but quirky when it tries to interface with another brand.

Joe

It appears to me that BMW Bluetooth will connect with only one aftermarket headset for the radio, is this correct?

I have been reading through the Sena 50s manual and it appears to me that I can connect the rider's headset to the BMW radio, then connect the passenger headset to the rider's to share music. Anyone have any experience with this?

It would solve that problem.

It also shows that you can plug directly into a MP3 player via a cable with a 3.5 MM jack. I could buy a splitter and run a cable to each unit, but that sorta defeats the wireless concept!

Having had Sena, Interphone and now Cardo, I have to say that the Cardo is the best, also for groups. The Interphone's I had were great for when I rode solo and never had to connect with others. The Sena was just too fiddly to deal with longterm.

FWIW, I too have the 2018 RT with a dual Sena system. I have an older 3S in my Shoei GT Air and the wife has the SRL in her Shoei Neotec II. Altho, the 3S is the least expensive Sena, it actually is very capable and works great connecting to the BMW, NAV VI, iPhone, and intercom. I can connect to the BMW radio, but the wife is not able to connect to it at the same time. Also, if I'm listening to the radio thru headset there is no automatic intercom interruption. One of us has to request the intercom via a button or voice command with the SRL. This is a pain so I usually connect to the NAV VI, iPhone and then intercom. This way we can be in a continuous conversation and I can receive NAV command and phone notifications. NAV commands interrupt the intercom with automatic reconnect after 6 seconds.

I find the whole bluetooth headset thing rather complicated and cumbersome, but it is nice to have someone to talk to when riding. I've also had a 3-way going so to speak, and that too has it's frustrations as you have to keep switching back to who you want to talk to. Definitely not worth from my perspective.

I think BT is BT and both the Cardo and Sena offer pretty much the same experience, and from what I understand there is no problem mix and matching as long as both individuals really understand the operation of their particular units. Hope it works out for you.

I had Cardo, then SENA, now Cardo again, a packtalk Bold.

First off, the BMW radio bluetooth quality is sub-par. It is generations behind the times. I removed my speakers and use the space to store my tools, including a tire pump.

Use your phone for music, or the radio that comes in the Cardo. Much much better quality.

The nice thing about Cardo, is the voice activation. Sound quality is high, though I use molded in ear monitors, and have for many years. This is why I left Cardo the first time, they did not support them at first. I loved my SENA with jog dial, but this new unit is way more advanced. I can even hear my music, while talking to my wife, on the same or different bike.

It appears to me that BMW Bluetooth will connect with only one aftermarket headset for the radio, is this correct?

I have been reading through the Sena 50s manual and it appears to me that I can connect the rider's headset to the BMW radio, then connect the passenger headset to the rider's to share music. Anyone have any experience with this?

It would solve that problem.

It also shows that you can plug directly into a MP3 player via a cable with a 3.5 MM jack. I could buy a splitter and run a cable to each unit, but that sorta defeats the wireless concept!

Good questions.

Yes, BMW materials would have you believe that only one headset will work: theirs. I can assure you that this is not the case, however. Any Sena or Cardo or other manufacturer’s headset should work just fine with the bike’s Bluetooth. This goes, as well, for any of the myriad Bluetooth integrated helmets from manufacturers such as Schuberth (Just be sure to purchase a helmet with both DOT and SNELL ratings for the best safety).

I use a Sena 50. I have found the Bluetooth audio connection works very well with my MP3 player (which is also my smartphone) already, so there has been no need for extra cables to be plugged into my headset. Also, the Sena does share music with you pillion, though you will have to get familiar with the key sequence to turn the feature on and off… the manual covers it all.

Please also keep in mind that the Sean 50 and 30 already have FM radio receivers, so your pillion can listen to one broadcast channel, and you, your own. The Sena headsets will give your own intercom audio priority over any music playing.

I propose an answer to the original question that approaches from the standpoint of need: Your first stated goal is to be sure you can listen talk to the pillion via Bluetooth intercom, and that you can both listen to the bike’s audio. I am sure you have found that all of these helmet audio manufacturers provide headsets that will do this, as it is their first purpose, as well.

There are additional features available in most all of the new headsets, however. For instance, listening to and sharing Bluetooth music and telephone audio from a smart phone is a ‘killer app’ these days.

Importantly, I should note that I no longer connect my helmet to my 2020RT’s audio. I find I have no need for it, as my headset has all the audio feed and features I desire from my smartphone. My headset already has FM, and In the Pacific Northwest, trees interrupt the bike’s meager Sirius Radio receiving antenna too easily for reliable use, anyhow.

As it comes to use of Bluetooth intercom or Mesh communication with other riders: if this is a planned use, then be sure to discuss with your group which mesh they use. At this time, Sena and Cardo do not provide compatible Mesh technologies (‘Mesh,’ here, meaning a technical implementation that allows 6 or more helmets to communicate over about a 1/2-mile-or-more distance, and differentiated from the common ‘Bluetooth Intercom’ technology used to interface between pillion and rider and/or between a small group of riders).

Does this help in any way?

N6qr thanks, that helps.
As for connecting with the motorcycle versus a cell phone at this time I see no need to connect with my phone, I never listen to FM or saved music files. I also often ride in areas with limited cell service.

Jstrube, I have had my RT for 3 years and listen to the satelite radio exclusively with no complaints other than losing signal in heavy tree cover. I rarely use the bike's speakers.

Yup, ride mostly in the land of 10,000 taxes...lakes. Not much interesting riding to be had in the ND!

Been happily using a pair of Sena smh10's for roughly ten years. Running an open circuit to passenger, streaming or chatting almost every ride without issue. I did learn early on to leave them on the helmet or the connecting pins will wear out. I have no experience with other brands or a need to. Integrates with BMW radio although I hardly ever use it.

Sena 20S has been reliable and trouble free when it's just me and the music player. Hard to connect with a cardo and most people I ride with had cardo's.

When my brother and I were going to take a long trip together, I bought Cardo PTB pair for mine and a spare helmet should I take a pillion. He bought the cardo PTB and when we connected up, the pairing took all of 15 seconds and we were on the road.

Cardo nor Sena seem to have the reach both suggest is possible, but both seem reliable out to 400 yrds or so most of the time.

I'm happy with the Sena when riding alone [ now a 3rd helmet ] and cardo if I'm hooking up with my brother or taking a pillion along. Both cardo's are paired with my brothers, and I take the spare with me on the off chance one goes down. He does the same.

All things being equal, Cardo has a very good discount for MOA members. Check the MOA website for details.

All things being equal, Cardo has a very good discount for MOA members. Check the MOA website for details.

Thanks, I just checked into it. Too bad you need to buy direct from Cardo, and the discount is off of full retail. I have a price from a friend that has a shop and online store. His price is within a few dollars of the MOA discount from Cardo.

I recently purchased Cardo pack talk bold and installed in Bell modular SRT. The JBL speakers that come with Cardo are excellent.

Back