• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Robertson Draw fire south of Red Lodge

REBGEN

Hey Folks,

I'm checking in to see if any members have some perspective on this fire and the need for an alternate route to the rally. I'm heading out Friday from Iowa and I stay in Greybull, WY Monday 6/21 and have a plan to do one of my bucket list rides the next day to Red Lodge via Chief Joseph / Beartooth Pass. It looks like the fire is currently located south and east a few miles from Hwy 212 and hope it's contained enough to make a run through there.

To make it even more interesting it looks like another smaller fire is burning 40mi SE of Helena and my route to the rally up Hwy 89 looks like it could become involved.

I seem to have bad luck with fires as I was in the middle of the Grand Lake, CO fire last September. After that experience I have even more respect for potential issues.

Looking forward to my first rally since St. Paul, MN. Thanks in advance for any sage wisdom on assessing the situation.

Mark

Seen photos, like you of the RL fire, guessing Beartooth pass is out for the future. Hoping nothing else pops up.

I would ride to Greybull and decide then what to do. I would still recommend running up to the summit of Chief Joseph, stop and take a good look and double back, or ride through Beartooth and turn back.. You can head up through Belfrey and Billings and onward.

If it is on your bucket list ride the two passes no matter what! No telling when or if you might get a chance to go back.

Thanks for all the replies!

Question to PoorUB - I planned to take Hwy 14 West from Greybull to Cody. Hwy 120 North to Hwy 296 (CJH), and then on to the Beartooth Pass. It looks like Beartooth is closed from the Wyoming/MT border to just south of Red Lodge. I have non-refundable reservations that night in Red Lodge Tuesday, 6/22. Not sure I understand how to reach any of the passes on Beartooth if it's shut down south of RL. This will be my first time in this region so I'd welcome any education how to possibly salvage (if needed) that ride.

Much appreciated!

Mark

Edit....I think I might get it. Are you saying just ride as far as I can up through CJH and Beartooth from the south....and THEN double back and take Hwy 120 north to Belfry? Then take Hwy 308 from Belfry to Red Lodge?

Thanks again!

I too planned on riding Beartooth Highway on the way to Great Falls so I checked and as of 6/17/21 the highway is still open but I think I might plan a second route just incase. Have a hotel booked in Cody and was almost taking the same route as you up 89, I better check on that fire!

Good luck!

Things are starting to look a little better today with weather moderating and North winds. Sunday calls for rain and 60f temps. Cautiously optimistic at this point. I have alternate route options that hopefully won't be needed.

Looking forward to my overnight in Red Lodge. Ride safe!

Thanks Lee!

Are you and your wife riding out to the Rally? I've enjoyed your travel posts and have learned much from your reports...thanks! I live just up the road in the Des Moines area. It'd be nice to put a name with a face when it works out.

Thanks again for the resources...much appreciated!

Mark

Thanks Lee!

Are you and your wife riding out to the Rally? I've enjoyed your travel posts and have learned much from your reports...thanks! I live just up the road in the Des Moines area. It'd be nice to put a name with a face when it works out.

Thanks again for the resources...much appreciated!

Mark

Not going to make it this year but planning on next year in Springfield.

Also a big fire in Deep Creek Canyon. Hwy 12 runs thru the canyon about 10-30 miles east of Townsend. A fire fighting helicopter went down yesterday with five people aboard. The aircraft burned but it went down near a State Trooper and she pulled everyone out before they we burned; all survived.

Hwy 12 is a great road for crossing Montana from east to west and Deep Creek Canyon is one of the best sections, but not a good choice for the next few days at least.

Do you have any thoughts on whether Hwy 89 northbound from that area might be closed or impacted?

Do you have any thoughts on whether Hwy 89 northbound from that area might be closed or impacted?

Have not heard of any impact on Hwy 89.

Just heard Hwy 12 is open with reduced speeds and requirements to Cary food and water.

Thanks Kevin!

That's good info. Now I'm going to back away from the keyboard and finish packing. Appreciate all the excellent feedback on this.

Dang....for a long-time lurker, I've posted a bunch in the last 24hrs.

Mark

I suggest you not rely on me or anyone else for real time info that you will use to make travel decisions. Things can change very quickly.

Agree. Lee sent me a couple links earlier today that will be excellent resources to keep me up to date. Thanks again for your help!

Thanks for all the replies!

Question to PoorUB - I planned to take Hwy 14 West from Greybull to Cody. Hwy 120 North to Hwy 296 (CJH), and then on to the Beartooth Pass. It looks like Beartooth is closed from the Wyoming/MT border to just south of Red Lodge. I have non-refundable reservations that night in Red Lodge Tuesday, 6/22. Not sure I understand how to reach any of the passes on Beartooth if it's shut down south of RL. This will be my first time in this region so I'd welcome any education how to possibly salvage (if needed) that ride.

You can run up to Belfry and then run over to Red lodge, if that road is open! It may be closed because of the fire. Otherwise head north to Hwy 212 and then back south.

As for riding Beartooth if the road is closed south of Red Lodge. The only way you can get there is ride 120 up to 296. Run over Chief Joseph and keep going to 212. Take a right on 212 and it will take you to Beartooth. If 212 to Red Lodge is closed on the north side of Beartooth you will have to turn around at some point and ride back to 120. If you ride Beartooth, and I recommend you do! Ride at least to the vista on the north side, then turn around if the road is closed. If you need to double back, run up to Belfry, or all the way up to 212 and back to Red Lodge. It will be a long day, but doable, depending on where you spent the previous night. Trust me, the ride over Chief Joseph and Beartooth is worth the time.

Also when you come over 14 through the Big Horns, stop at Shell Falls. It is worth the the stop!

I ride that area every year for the last fifteen years and getting ready to go again so I am fairly familiar with it!

Any questions, just ask!!

Back