• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Adjusting Worx Shock for Pre Load

greybeard52

The previous, previous owner of my 1986 R80RT installed a Worx Performance Shock. I was riding today and thinking that I would like to soften the preload to make the ride a little more comfortable. When I looked at the shock, the preload adjuster is different than what I'm used to on previous and current motorcycles that I have owned. I know this is an after market part, but I thought maybe someone has experience with this brand of shock and can aim me in the right direction. I don't want to break it or mess it up adjusting it incorrectly. I asked the previous owner and he said he never adjusted it. And there was no tool that came with the bike when I bought it last year. Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• IMG_3241.jpg
    IMG_3241.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 39
Do you see any model or part number? Most images on the web show a threaded collar which takes a special wrench to turn...doesn't look anything like your picture.

I found it!

I looked through all of the PW that the PO gave me and found the instructions for adjusting the Worx Shock. I looked at them earlier but didn't read through thoroughly. You move the flat silver bar left to increase pre load, and right to decrease. There are only three settings. When the shock compresses, the silver flat bar is the stop for the "cup" below the bar. So each of the 3 long notches is a setting. I used the spark plug tool from my tool kit to move it.
We will see if I get a plusher ride. The PO liked to ride fast and so he preferred a stiff setting for cornering. I on the other hand have a 69 year old buttocks and back, which prefers a more plush ride. I like to watch the world go by a little slower. Although I'm not above passing a line of cars following a tractor in a rather quick manner, which I did today.

Back