• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

fly /ride questions

the Wizard of Oz
planning to fly /ride to pick up a bike with a hotel overnight. Would you take your helmet as a carry-on and check a soft bag with the rest of your riding gear and clean sox etc so you can "bungee' the bag on for the return trip?

Ideas appreciated

thanx and ride safe

I have done this fly / ride a couple of times. The first time I shipped everything to the seller of the bike that I was purchasing. This was done a couple of days prior to my flight out. The seller picked my wife and me up from the airport and took us to the hotel where most of the gear was transferred. We then took the seller to lunch and then I went with him to his home where I got the bike. We had previously transferred the title from his name to mine and I had my new plate. The trip home was excellent and I still have that bike.

The second time was a few years later. The seller took the bike to the local BMW dealer and I had the bike worked on. My instructions to the dealer's service tech was to make the bike safe and reliable. I picked a hotel within walking distance of the dealership and shipped my gear there a few days prior to our flight. I verified the hotel's receipt of the boxes before my departure. I picked up the bike and once at the hotel added a few extras (i.e., GPS mount and some aux LED brake lights). This trip again turned out to be pretty nice. The major lesson learned was about the need to hydrate more than expected in the hot Arizona climate. I still have that bike.

In making a remote purchase of a bike I find it useful to have several conversations with the sellers. Usually it is pretty easy to ascertain if the seller is someone with whom one would like to buy a bike from. I have not had any issue with shipping gear to hotels. I make certain that the hotel management are willing to receive and safely store my stuff until I arrive. My wife and I carried very little with us on the airplane trip.

On the return trip I found it desirable to ship some stuff home to lighten the load. Specifically this was some of the warmer clothing that was anticipated being used while crossing the Rockies. Once past the higher elevations the warmer clothing was not needed.

thx

thx for the good ideas. the seller is an MOA member so we feel pretty confident!

Flying with gear

I’ve done this many times. I will fly and ride for work. I usually carry my helmet on the aircraft. It sometimes won’t fit in overhead so it goes under seat. If I have boots, jackets, pants then I check those. I have also checked my helmet when it has gear packed around it and it’s always fine. I just feel better if I have my helmet with me. I’ve even worn riding gear on a plane to do all carryon. But this is a pain. Good luck!

I always take my helmet carryon I don't trust the baggage handlers. Like going on a ski trip always take your boots carryon as you can figure out how to replace anything else.

Depending on your time constraints, you can box and UPS it to your destination. Do get adequate insurance! I have done this a few times with no problems. YMMV.

I sold a R100RS when I was stationed in Kansas to a fellow from Texas; Dallas area I think. He flew into Manhattan, KS wearing a set of full leathers and carrying his helmet. Spent a few minutes at my place to exchange cash for title and off he rode.

I've done the fly & ride a few times, each was for an overnighter. Each bike I've purchased has had bags so the bungee cord thing is not a concern. Since I like to travel light, I carry my helmet on-board as a personal item and wear my jacket and boots. Pants and everything else go in a carry-on. I've got some strange looks, but if so I simply say that I'm traveling to pick up a bike and people then think it's kind of cool.

Sellers have never had a problem with picking me up at the airport. "I'll be the one one carrying a helmet."

One other thing to remember is a license plate. Each state is probably different, but in Virginia we can go online and print a temporary "trip permit" to get home.

Back