Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wind!

Thanks for the update.
    On to a 21 F750GS, Ride Safe, Richard (K7TNT) MOA #114372, IBA #59670 2015 Be the Adventure!

Quote Originally Posted by RIDERR1150GSADV View Post
    Y'all haven't seen wind unless it has a name attached to it.....

Anyway I remember Gillette and plan to stake my tent out like I did back then and survive just fine..
    On the wind with a name, don't you get some advance warning to get of of it's way? I worry more about wind that is measured by the Enhanced Fujita Scale. Little to no warning, just duck and cover.

I was at Gillette camping out in the southeast forty. Any tent I put up will have all guide lines fully staked every time it goes up. The first night I spotted the wall cloud in bound. I took my GS off the side stand and laid it down on the crash bars. There was a large group of members from Québec camping next to me. I got a few funny looks when they saw me "lay the bike down". The next morning there were several motorcycles laying on their sides. Two of my Canadian neighbors came over to talk with me that morning, they wanted to know if this kind of weather was normal in the Great Plains. I told them not a daily event, but to watch the sky. The next night was even better with much more close in lighting.
    Jim Nyffeler (Nyfty)
    2017 R1200RTW, 2018 G310GS
    BMWMOA 110521, IBA 8936
    Knights of the Roundel #333

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nyfty View Post
    On the wind with a name, don't you get some advance warning to get of of it's way? I worry more about wind that is measured by the Enhanced Fujita Scale. Little to no warning, just duck and cover.

I was at Gillette camping out in the southeast forty. Any tent I put up will have all guide lines fully staked every time it goes up. The first night I spotted the wall cloud in bound. I took my GS off the side stand and laid it down on the crash bars. There was a large group of members from Québec camping next to me. I got a few funny looks when they saw me "lay the bike down". The next morning there were several motorcycles laying on their sides. Two of my Canadian neighbors came over to talk with me that morning, they wanted to know if this kind of weather was normal in the Great Plains. I told them not a daily event, but to watch the sky. The next night was even better with much more close in lighting.
    While we do get the warnings for hurricane winds I too don't like the tornados that come with a hurricane either. I have been through a tornado in Indiana and just as soon forget about that..
    The aftermath of the Gillette rally was disturbing with so many tents that got destroyed and some even ending up in the fencing around the camp area....
    I had staked out my tent to the hilt and loaned my extra stakes to my next-door neighbor who had never camped at a high altitude plain. I had told him to expect strong winds at any given time and it came true..
    Our neighbors across from us were laughing at us, until a dose of reality and soaked gear hit them the morning after. I actually slept through the whole thing....
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, ‘17 R1200RT