• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Wind!

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
High winds are forecast for the Great Falls area for Tuesday, 6/22 (36 MPH), Wednesday, 6/23 (40 MPH) and Thursday, 6/24 (23 MPH). The forecast for Friday thru Sunday is for winds from 10 - 14 MPH.

Winds tend to be much worse in the mid to late afternoon (but not always) and intense local thunderstorms can form. Best to get as many miles in as you can in the early part of the day and stake down tents well.

Temperatures are forecast to be in the mid 70s to low 80s with overnight lows in the 50s.

I recall the wind from when I lived in St. John’s as a kid.

The forecast is better today. Tuesday- 30 MPH; Wednesday- 31 MPH; Thursday- 20 MPH; Friday- 14 MPH. Forecast temperature are highs mid-70s to low 80s. Overnight temperatures in the low 50s. Chances of rain is 20-30% daily, most likely as afternoon thunderstorms.

Ah yes the ferries. I've had the Argentia ferry cancel only to be put on the Port Aux Basques for the 900 km ride home. My last run coming this way in April they cancelled 3 in a row on me. On the middle day stuck in the hotel the wind was strong enough it blew my bike over in the parking lot.

Y'all haven't seen wind unless it has a name attached to it.....:stick

Anyway I remember Gillette and plan to stake my tent out like I did back then and survive just fine..:D

Update:

Tuesday, 6/22: Temps: 80/50, Winds: 9-15 MPH, Intervals of clouds and sunshine with a couple of showers possible in the afternoon

Wednesday, 6/23: Temps: 79/50, Winds: 8-24 MPH, Partly sunny with a thunderstorm possible in the afternoon

Thursday, 6/24: Temps: 78/51, Winds: 16-41 MPH, Times of clouds and sun

Friday, 6/25: Temps: 77/53, Winds: 4-18 MPH, Mostly cloudy

Saturday, 6/26: Temps: 78/52, Winds: 5-17 MPH, Times of clouds and sun

Sunday, 6/27: Temps: 80/52, Winds: 6-17 MPH, Mostly sunny with a thunderstorm possible in the afternoon

Y'all haven't seen wind unless it has a name attached to it.....:stick

Anyway I remember Gillette and plan to stake my tent out like I did back then and survive just fine..:D

On the wind with a name, don't you get some advance warning to get of of it's way? I worry more about wind that is measured by the Enhanced Fujita Scale. Little to no warning, just duck and cover.

I was at Gillette camping out in the southeast forty. Any tent I put up will have all guide lines fully staked every time it goes up. The first night I spotted the wall cloud in bound. I took my GS off the side stand and laid it down on the crash bars. There was a large group of members from Québec camping next to me. I got a few funny looks when they saw me "lay the bike down". The next morning there were several motorcycles laying on their sides. Two of my Canadian neighbors came over to talk with me that morning, they wanted to know if this kind of weather was normal in the Great Plains. I told them not a daily event, but to watch the sky. The next night was even better with much more close in lighting.

On the wind with a name, don't you get some advance warning to get of of it's way? I worry more about wind that is measured by the Enhanced Fujita Scale. Little to no warning, just duck and cover.

I was at Gillette camping out in the southeast forty. Any tent I put up will have all guide lines fully staked every time it goes up. The first night I spotted the wall cloud in bound. I took my GS off the side stand and laid it down on the crash bars. There was a large group of members from Québec camping next to me. I got a few funny looks when they saw me "lay the bike down". The next morning there were several motorcycles laying on their sides. Two of my Canadian neighbors came over to talk with me that morning, they wanted to know if this kind of weather was normal in the Great Plains. I told them not a daily event, but to watch the sky. The next night was even better with much more close in lighting.

While we do get the warnings for hurricane winds I too don't like the tornados that come with a hurricane either. I have been through a tornado in Indiana and just as soon forget about that..
The aftermath of the Gillette rally was disturbing with so many tents that got destroyed and some even ending up in the fencing around the camp area....
I had staked out my tent to the hilt and loaned my extra stakes to my next-door neighbor who had never camped at a high altitude plain. I had told him to expect strong winds at any given time and it came true..
Our neighbors across from us were laughing at us, until a dose of reality and soaked gear hit them the morning after. I actually slept through the whole thing....:clap

Wind: In General on a bike:

Ireland's Atlantic coast packs some wind and when a 20 foot high wall stops along the road, you get buffeted riding north on the left on the ocean side, your helmets wobble, my rental '15' 1200 GS front wheel didn't even notice, just rode straight and great. The same happened in Montana last summer two-up on a 1200GS LC, dust first, then real wind in a wide valley with storm clouds all around. Told my wife that I could ride and stay up better than I could pull off and keep us up standing still. Again the front wheel didn't budge much at all. My '85 K100RS did get affected by some highway cross winds. While riding either, you head and neck can tell if you are say 20' to 300' behind a tractor trailer.

In sailing terms, the faster you go, the more the wind appears to be coming from in front of you.

Ireland's Atlantic coast packs some wind and when a 20 foot high wall stops along the road, you get buffeted riding north on the left on the ocean side, your helmets wobble, my rental '15' 1200 GS front wheel didn't even notice, just rode straight and great. The same happened in Montana last summer two-up on a 1200GS LC, dust first, then real wind in a wide valley with storm clouds all around. Told my wife that I could ride and stay up better than I could pull off and keep us up standing still. Again the front wheel didn't budge much at all. My '85 K100RS did get affected by some highway cross winds. While riding either, you head and neck can tell if you are say 20' to 300' behind a tractor trailer.

In sailing terms, the faster you go, the more the wind appears to be coming from in front of you.

In many - not all of course - cases what riders perceive as the wind blowing a bike around is really the wind blowing the upper body around. And if the arms and wrists are stiff fighting or anticipating the wind then that upper body movement is transferred to the bars, causing the bike to move around.

Back