Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: What's meant by "lubricate ball-joint clamp and ball"

  1. #1
    Redneck Oregonian radiofun1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Ashland, Oregon
    Posts
    68

    What's meant by "lubricate ball-joint clamp and ball"

    Service schedule for the k1300s says to service this. Is this the clamp between the header and the exhaust pipe?

  2. #2
    Registered User lkraus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    1,897
    Yes. The repair DVD calls for Optimoly TA, an anti-seize assembly paste which is a bit hard to find. Permatex #80078 aluminum anti-seize handles the heat just fine.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

  3. #3
    Left Coast Rider
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    4,324
    I suspect this requirement is due to the fact that the silencer must be moved out of the way in order to remove the back wheel. Hard to do if that joint is seized.

  4. #4
    MOA #24991 Pauls1150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    south of Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,146
    Not a K1300 owner, but - Isn't there another ball joint at the top of the front suspension? This would need an occasional greasing too...

  5. #5
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    2,097
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Not a K1300 owner, but - Isn't there another ball joint at the top of the front suspension? This would need an occasional greasing too...
    Those are sealed and non-serviceable save for replacement.

    Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  6. #6
    MOA #24991 Pauls1150's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    south of Los Angeles
    Posts
    3,146
    Thank you!

  7. #7
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    17,214
    As this thread has migrated off the original topic……and on to a new one, I will move the garage posts to a thread of its own….

    Title- Cool garages and cool garage ideas.

    Should be a great thread for those that don’t suffer from “any flat surface” disease.

    My garage won’t be featured

    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  8. #8
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    17,214
    Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    I suspect this requirement is due to the fact that the silencer must be moved out of the way in order to remove the back wheel. Hard to do if that joint is seized.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Yes that ball shape muffler clamp allows the muffler to be pivoted out of the way during a tire change.
    I never bothered to lube that clamp on our bikes.




    Follow along with the Cool Garage Discussion Here- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...l-garage-ideas!

    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  9. #9
    Debbie's Servant Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    9,006
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    As this thread has migrated off the original topic……and on to a new one, I will move the garage posts to a thread of its own….

    Title- Cool garages and cool garage ideas.

    Should be a great thread for those that don’t suffer from “any flat surface” disease.

    My garage won’t be featured

    OM
    I read on the internet garage floor epoxy is a good ball joint lubricant
    Tomorrow's topic is Hearding Cats.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

  10. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Fargo, ND
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    I read on the internet garage floor epoxy is a good ball joint lubricant
    Tomorrow's topic is Hearding Cats.
    LOL!
    I guess I didn't see an issue with venturing off topic as the question had been answered. It might make the thread easier to find at a later date!

    Now, about those cats.....
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Similar Threads

  1. bearing or ball joint?
    By 515PHOTO in forum Wetheads
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-10-2021, 12:06 AM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-31-2014, 03:19 AM
  3. Ball Joint
    By Superduper in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-14-2010, 01:21 PM
  4. Ball Joint gone bad?
    By devauxb in forum Oilheads
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-25-2010, 12:03 AM
  5. "Ball" photo exhibition
    By OfficerImpersonator in forum Photography
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-31-2008, 11:43 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •