• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Eastern Beaver PC-8 vs Centech AP-2

Scarletswirl

Background: I was very impressed with Brook Reams electrical upgrade on his R100RT. So much so, that I'm considering doing something similar with my '89 R100RT.

I've looked on line and realized there are alternatives to the Eastern Beaver PC-8 auxiliary fuse box that Brook used. In particular, the Centech AP-2 caught my eye. Like the PC-8, it has the ability to accommodate both constant and switched loads (through the use of an additional relay) but it has fewer fuses. The overall current capacity is the same (60 Amps, way more than I need). Unlike the PC-8, which is essentially custom built in a one-man shop in Japan, the AP-2 is stocked by several retailers in the US. Price, even including the relay and shipping, is a bit less for the AP-2, but not enough to influence the decision.

Question for the group: has anyone had any experience with the AP-2? Any compelling reason to pass it up in favor of the PC-8?
Thanks

FWIW, I have the Centech AP-1 on one bike and it has been a solid unit. But when I needed to wire accessories onto the next bike I switched to Fuzeblock, a product originally designed and produced by a rider:
https://www.fuzeblocks.com/

On the FB unit switched/unswitched decisions can be made or reversed by just repositioning a fuse, which is handy when mods are needed from the original installation.

Best,
DeVern

PC-8 vs AP-2 vs Fuzublock

Thanks for the input. I did consider the Fuzeblock, I really like the flexibility it offers and the idea of the internal relay which significantly simplifies installation. The downside is that it has only half the total capacity of the other two products, i.e. 30 A vs. 60 A, and the most you can put on each circuit is 10 A. Since my heated gear (jacket/pants/gloves) would already use up over 10 A and require a 15 A fuse, that got the FZ-1 out of the running for me. Otherwise it would have been the #1 contender.
M.

Every heated gear manufacturer says go directly to the battery. They all have a battery connection with a fuse.
Gator

Heated Gear

I agree. That's what they all SAY. I suspect that's because they don't want to be responsible for Joe the shadetree mechanic running substandard wire and starting fires. Also, they don't want to mess with CANbus issues, which are irrelevant on airheads.
But suppose that:
1. The Aux Fuse Panel is rated for 60 A total and I use the correct fuse size (15 A) for the individual circuit dedicated to the heated gear
2. I size the wire so that it exceeds the current capacity of the heated gear manufacturer's own wire and is about the same length
3. I have not one, but two in-line fuses (the one that feeds the Aux Fuse Panel (30 A) and the 15 A dedicated heated gear outlet fuse
If all these conditions are true, can anyone explain why I would be LESS safe with an Aux Fuse Panel than going directly off the battery?
I don't mean this to be a challenge, it's a genuine curiosity of mine.
With apologies for going off topic. I think this is a good question for the group.

Every heated gear manufacturer says go directly to the battery. They all have a battery connection with a fuse.
Gator

I think their intent is to discourage tapping into (and probably overloading) an existing circuit. The various auxiliary fuse panels provide a "direct to battery" connection so that each accessory can have its own circuit with a suitable fuse and wire gauge.

Back