• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

How reliable are these era bikes?

IMHO ...
As long as its had it's scheduled services and had the brake lines replaced and the HES re-wired, this bike has a lot of miles in front of it.

These bikes are ticking time bombs because they were the first built following new German laws requiring auto parts be biodegradable.

The wiring harnesses on these bike are mostly falling apart at this age--just as designed--and you'll encounter problems and the need for repairs. Most will have had brake hoses replaced by now as well.

Questions on reliability of 20+ year old motorcycles are ... "interesting." These bikes were made in limited quantities and parts have to come from Germany and remain expensive.

These bikes are ticking time bombs because they were the first built following new German laws requiring auto parts be biodegradable.

The wiring harnesses on these bike are mostly falling apart at this age--just as designed--and you'll encounter problems and the need for repairs. Most will have had brake hoses replaced by now as well.

Questions on reliability of 20+ year old motorcycles are ... "interesting." These bikes were made in limited quantities and parts have to come from Germany and remain expensive.

Nonsense. Not even BMW would do this to buyers.

Always Mr. Positive. :banghead

Best BMW IMO

I have a 2005 R1150GSA that has been bulletproof. It has been on-road, offroad and generally ridden hard and currently has around 60k miles. Other than the ticking time-bomb that is the servo brakes, I have complete confidence in this bike. It currently sits waiting for me at Knopf in Heidelberg for our annual Alps vacation, so I currently only ride it once/year but when we get together, it's like meeting up with a dear friend that I haven't seen in a year.

I have four other bikes in the garage but I'll never sell that bike. It was the only bike I considered taking to Europe.

I can't tell from the pictures whether that bike has the servo brakes (late 2002's got them) but if the calipers say "BMW" on them, plan on removing the servo if/when it fails at some point. They are no longer available or are priced at more than the value of the bike (depending on who you ask). If you remove it, you will still have brakes, just no ABS. There are lots of instructions on how to remove it online.

I have a 2005 R1150GSA that has been bulletproof. It has been on-road, offroad and generally ridden hard and currently has around 60k miles. Other than the ticking time-bomb that is the servo brakes, I have complete confidence in this bike. It currently sits waiting for me at Knopf in Heidelberg for our annual Alps vacation, so I currently only ride it once/year but when we get together, it's like meeting up with a dear friend that I haven't seen in a year.

I have four other bikes in the garage but I'll never sell that bike. It was the only bike I considered taking to Europe.

I can't tell from the pictures whether that bike has the servo brakes (late 2002's got them) but if the calipers say "BMW" on them, plan on removing the servo if/when it fails at some point. They are no longer available or are priced at more than the value of the bike (depending on who you ask). If you remove it, you will still have brakes, just no ABS. There are lots of instructions on how to remove it online.

All the RT1150's came with servo brakes unless factory ordered w/o ABS option.

All the RT1150's came with servo brakes unless factory ordered w/o ABS option.

I extrapolated the GS/GSA brake equipment to the RT. My bad.

Steptoes_garden.jpg

When the servo bikes were popular, Steptoe posted this picture of the garden behind his shop - filled with dead servos.

If one regularly flushes the brake system and has changed out the rubber lines for braided steel, the servo brake system presents virtually no issues. I have two bikes with a combined total of 240,000km on them with no problems. Many here can attest to same.

If one regularly flushes the brake system and has changed out the rubber lines for braided steel, the servo brake system presents virtually no issues. I have two bikes with a combined total of 240,000km on them with no problems. Many here can attest to same.

Only problem is that now that these are aged bikes, there's usually no guarantee that all the previous owners followed the proper maintenance schedule. A fortunate buyer might be the second owner, and purchase a bike from someone who's done and documented all their maintenance since new.

Only problem is that now that these are aged bikes, there's usually no guarantee that all the previous owners followed the proper maintenance schedule. A fortunate buyer might be the second owner, and purchase a bike from someone who's done and documented all their maintenance since new.

True, so a complete major service is in order. And check the wiring harnesses. And replace any old rubber brake lines. Then ride on.

As it happens, I have an almost 20 year-old R bike for sale in the Marketplace of this forum. I have all service records since I bought it new.

http://marketplace.bmwmoa.org/classified/2002-r1150r-listing-23852.aspx

opinion

Having owned an '04 R1150RT (sold) and presently own a '93 R1100RSL I think if I were looking to buy an oilhead BMW I would concentrate my efforts on oilheads built between 1993 and 2001 which are the R1100 series. I think they have better build qualities and have fewer potential problems like trans input shaft and final drive issues and as I have only recently discovered much better and simpler to live with electronic control units (ECU) making problems like engine surging issues far easier to satisfactorily remedy. Just my very humble opinion.

Ticking Time Bombs

Ticking Time Bomb? So my 2004 RT with 110k is gonna blow up any day now?
Falling Apart? I must be so old that I can't tell, 'cause it runs pretty much like it did when new. And believe it or not, every single item still works perfectly.
Limited Quantities?

I'm guessing you have data to match your claims?

Voni's '94 R1100RS has 412,000 miles. The brakes, transmission, electrics, injection system etc are all still quite sound. Due to some bottom end noise I transplanted a replacement low mileage engine at just over 400,000 miles. I do not agree that they are ticking time bombs if well maintained.

Having owned an '04 R1150RT (sold) and presently own a '93 R1100RSL I think if I were looking to buy an oilhead BMW I would concentrate my efforts on oilheads built between 1993 and 2001 which are the R1100 series. I think they have better build qualities and have fewer potential problems like trans input shaft and final drive issues and as I have only recently discovered much better and simpler to live with electronic control units (ECU) making problems like engine surging issues far easier to satisfactorily remedy. Just my very humble opinion.

I agree -- I think BMW added a few completely unnecessary complications to the R1150 models like the servo-assisted brake system (which is bonkers expensive and utterly pointless on a motorcycle), and there are loads of threads here and elsewhere talking about frequent R1150 stick coil failures. The extra engine displacement did almost nothing to increase the engine power from what I've heard. In contrast, I've not read much about R1100 coil failures anywhere.

As far as the smoothness upgrades go, 1100 engines can be upgraded to dual-spark, and both 1100's and 1150's can take Bosch EV14 fuel injectors which by all accounts make a huge difference in fuel atomization and burn. Can't upgrade an R1100 to a 6-speed transmission without serious machining work though.

I also think the R1100R/R850R looks a lot better than the R1150R.

I agree -- I think BMW added a few completely unnecessary complications to the R1150 models like the servo-assisted brake system (which is bonkers expensive and utterly pointless on a motorcycle), and there are loads of threads here and elsewhere talking about frequent R1150 stick coil failures. The extra engine displacement did almost nothing to increase the engine power from what I've heard. In contrast, I've not read much about R1100 coil failures anywhere.

As far as the smoothness upgrades go, 1100 engines can be upgraded to dual-spark, and both 1100's and 1150's can take Bosch EV14 fuel injectors which by all accounts make a huge difference in fuel atomization and burn. Can't upgrade an R1100 to a 6-speed transmission without serious machining work though.

I also think the R1100R/R850R looks a lot better than the R1150R.

I put 189,000 trouble free miles on a 2003 (early - single spark) R1150R. A very reliable, user friendly motorcycle.

Back