• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Maybe hope for the Canukians?

Pretty boy Trudeau is gonna lift the border ban?

It sure would be nice to see you über-yankees at the rally! :ha

For folks like me, sadly, no. Most of us are still waiting for our second shots, which for me, if I should be lucky, won't be until the Rally begins. If I'm not mistaken the dosage doesn't give full protection for the better part of two weeks.

So it would seem for the majority of Canadians, we will have to wait for next year's Rally in Fargo..... I mean Springfield MO. :laugh

Also waiting to see if a high enough proportion of the US population gets fully vaccinated.

Based on the proportion in Canada getting the first dose we should be ok as presumably those folks follow up to get the second.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

Well they haven't made any real announcement on the opening process yet, but the early information says they are looking at a gradual easing of the restrictions possibly starting June 22. Supposed to be applicable to fully vaccinated individuals only and would eliminate the need for testing and isolation.

I did manage to get my second dose yesterday which leaves me two weeks away from that designation. That would technically mean if this happens I'd be allowed to cross the border for the rally. Not a lot of solid assurances yet though that this will happen. I have already canceled my registration and received my refund anyway.

To be clear, I have travel health insurance through work but due to the current restrictions, I have no coverage unless I go supplemental. That's a whopping $760.00 a week!

My vehicle insurance would cover me wholly in an accident. I can't think of a way to make a bad case of the trots look like a motor vehicle accident!

Restrictions remain upon return until well after the Rally would be over and even though I got the two shots, sitting at home for two weeks just won't happen.

I have to admit, the US really has upped their game compared to Canada to protect their citizens and open things up.

There is next year and if it is in Springfield, is that the same Springfield that Homer lives in?

He is my #2 hero right after Don Cherry.

There is next year and if it is in Springfield, is that the same Springfield that Homer lives in?

Sorry, it's Springfield, Oregon, per the writer Matt Groening.

A thought...maybe the next Nationals 2023-2025 should also be in Springfield, but other states??!!

No rally for me again this year! No second shot till Aug! Cancelled all motel and rally bookings a few weeks ago! Bummer! Really looking forward to seeing ya all as well the Rockies again!:ca

Also waiting to see if a high enough proportion of the US population gets fully vaccinated.

Better up your mask regimen.... ;)

7E3BBDE3-1611-42A8-A302-F914AE416692_1_105_c.jpg

Hate to not see our Canadian friends this year, but I understand. The situation demonstrates how vulnerable our club can be to geopolitical pressure. Fingers crossed for Springfield.

Hate to not see our Canadian friends this year, but I understand. The situation demonstrates how vulnerable our club can be to geopolitical pressure. Fingers crossed for Springfield.
Would you please explain the "geopolitical pressure" part of your post?

Would you please explain the "geopolitical pressure" part of your post?

International border shutdown, directly affecting members ability to attend the rally. Governmental decisions that directly affect the MOA. We will have attendees/members traveling in from other nations (Cayman Islands, Latin and South America unaffected by travel restrictions.)

Point is, our club clearly can be affected by decisions made outside of our control. On the board, we routinely do SWAT analysis, geopolitical pressure (because of my military background) is one of the threats to our club I identified all the way back when I first came on the board in 2016. Let’s just say, too often, I hate it when I’m right. I’m not sure what we, as a club could have done to circumnavigate international governmental policy decisions not conducive to our organization. I suppose just predict and stay ahead of them.

Speaking of predicting, the current popular governmental trend to eliminate all (personal civil use) internal combustion engines will definitely affect our club if the policy follows the rhetoric. I personally don’t feel it will be beneficial, and may in fact be the decision that ultimately kills the club.

I think that most Canadians are supportive of measures that serve to protect their health and safety. Some things should not be "circumnavigated".

More generally Canadians tend not to politicize COVID and responses to it to a great extent. We can rightly find faults with our governments and their actions but there is strong support for science-based public health measures.

I think that most Canadians are supportive of measures that serve to protect their health and safety. Some things should not be "circumnavigated".

More generally Canadians tend not to politicize COVID and responses to it to a great extent. We can rightly find faults with our governments and their actions but there is strong support for science-based public health measures.

Absolutely, not questioning the why or how, only pointing out the ramifications to our club good or bad based on the overarching decisions made. Other governmental decisions that affect the club other than the restrictions to domestic and international travel include but are not limited to: Tariffs, Import Taxes, Security, road closures, infrastructure, gas and transportation taxes… wars even.

Many things we can not control, but somethings we can get ahead of and mitigate. Much mitigation on the club’s part was done last year and this year by our board and staff to minimize the overall negative affect of the pandemic and government (state and national) shutdowns and travel restrictions. It’s going to hurt us, but not as much had we not been proactive.

While Canada has so far lagged in proportion of the population being fully vaccinated it leads in first doses. This augers well for achieving a high level of vaccination - something that is said to be particularly important in the face of the nasty new Delta variant. There is growing discussion of the concept of a vaccination passport and I suspect that many Canadians would support this.

Vaccine Rollout.jpg

Just announced, border restrictions will remain in place until at least July 21st. That pretty much ends any faint hope for Canadians to attend. Disappointing, but not really surprising. Our federal government has moved glacially slow with all things pandemic related - except spending money.

Just announced, border restrictions will remain in place until at least July 21st. That pretty much ends any faint hope for Canadians to attend. Disappointing, but not really surprising. Our federal government has moved glacially slow with all things pandemic related - except spending money.
Indeed had we had vaccines in greater volumes earlier we would be better equipped for border opening now.

Also at issue is whether the US will recognize an Astrazeneca vaccinated person as fully vaccinated. The US has not approved Astrazeneca although Canada, Europe and the WHO have.

To attend the Bruce Springsteen concert in NY one must be fully vaccinated and Astrazeneca isn't recognized.

Back