• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Recommended Slide Hammer / Bearing Puller kit for BMW bearings

miseenscene

Good day,

I am working on the 24K maintenance items on my two cycles (F650GS and R850R) and among the items due are the wheel bearings. I would like to ask if riders have a recommendation on a good slide hammer / puller kit for DIY mechanics. After years of not having room to do my own work, I now have a garage and can tackle various maintenance chores and upgrades.

Thank you.

Be well, ride safely.

RK​

Good day,

I am working on the 24K maintenance items on my two cycles (F650GS and R850R) and among the items due are the wheel bearings. I would like to ask if riders have a recommendation on a good slide hammer / puller kit for DIY mechanics. After years of not having room to do my own work, I now have a garage and can tackle various maintenance chores and upgrades.

Be well, ride safely.

RK​

For my R1100RT front wheel, I purchased a Motion Pro wheel bearing remover. Rather than buy a kit, I just purchased the two remover sizes that I needed for my bike, along with the tool that hammers into the remover to force it to hold the bearing. Worked well.

24k maintenance item??? I'm not familiar with your bikes, but find it hard to believe that wheel bearing replacement is "due" at 24k miles. Inspection? That just means check the wheel for any free play. Sorry, if I'm ignorant of your bike schedule, but 24k miles seems VERY EARLY for bearing replacement.

For my R1100RT front wheel, I purchased a Motion Pro wheel bearing remover. Rather than buy a kit, I just purchased the two remover sizes that I needed for my bike, along with the tool that hammers into the remover to force it to hold the bearing. Worked well.

24k maintenance item??? I'm not familiar with your bikes, but find it hard to believe that wheel bearing replacement is "due" at 24k miles. Inspection? That just means check the wheel for any free play. Sorry, if I'm ignorant of your bike schedule, but 24k miles seems VERY EARLY for bearing replacement.

Good day,

Yes, to clarify: the wheel bearings due for "inspection at 24K". I have no indication that the wheels bearings on either cycle (96 r850r and '06 F650gs Dakar) are damaged or excessively worn. I am simply being proactive since I enjoy maintenance work and for the first time in my riding life, have a garage in which I can tackle various projects.

Thanks for the advice.

Be well, ride safely.
RK

Good day,

Yes, to clarify: the wheel bearings due for "inspection at 24K". I have no indication that the wheels bearings on either cycle (96 r850r and '06 F650gs Dakar) are damaged or excessively worn. I am simply being proactive since I enjoy maintenance work and for the first time in my riding life, have a garage in which I can tackle various projects.

Thanks for the advice.

Be well, ride safely.
RK

Inspection of the wheel bearing doesn't require removal of the bearing, and as OM said, I don't think I'd reuse one that I've hammered on while taking it out.

Here's a great video on how to inspect the wheel bearings:

If the wheel bearing does need to be replaced, I'd use the Motion Pro bearing remover tools.

Back