Thread: Recommended Slide Hammer / Bearing Puller kit for BMW bearings

Recommended Slide Hammer / Bearing Puller kit for BMW bearings

Good day,

I am working on the 24K maintenance items on my two cycles (F650GS and R850R) and among the items due are the wheel bearings. I would like to ask if riders have a recommendation on a good slide hammer / puller kit for DIY mechanics. After years of not having room to do my own work, I now have a garage and can tackle various maintenance chores and upgrades.

Thank you.

Be well, ride safely.

RK

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    I bought a TUSK set from Rocky Mountain ATV to do the wheel bearings on the F800GS. I was satisfied with how it worked. I don't think it would take daily use but fine for the occasional use.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ring-remover-p

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by miseenscene View Post
    Good day,

I am working on the 24K maintenance items on my two cycles (F650GS and R850R) and among the items due are the wheel bearings. I would like to ask if riders have a recommendation on a good slide hammer / puller kit for DIY mechanics. After years of not having room to do my own work, I now have a garage and can tackle various maintenance chores and upgrades.

Be well, ride safely.

RK
    For my R1100RT front wheel, I purchased a Motion Pro wheel bearing remover. Rather than buy a kit, I just purchased the two remover sizes that I needed for my bike, along with the tool that hammers into the remover to force it to hold the bearing. Worked well.

24k maintenance item??? I'm not familiar with your bikes, but find it hard to believe that wheel bearing replacement is "due" at 24k miles. Inspection? That just means check the wheel for any free play. Sorry, if I'm ignorant of your bike schedule, but 24k miles seems VERY EARLY for bearing replacement.
    Michael Stock, Trinity, NC
    R1100RT, R100, R60/6

Quote Originally Posted by m_stock10506 View Post
    For my R1100RT front wheel, I purchased a Motion Pro wheel bearing remover. Rather than buy a kit, I just purchased the two remover sizes that I needed for my bike, along with the tool that hammers into the remover to force it to hold the bearing. Worked well.

24k maintenance item??? I'm not familiar with your bikes, but find it hard to believe that wheel bearing replacement is "due" at 24k miles. Inspection? That just means check the wheel for any free play. Sorry, if I'm ignorant of your bike schedule, but 24k miles seems VERY EARLY for bearing replacement.
    Good day,

Yes, to clarify: the wheel bearings due for "inspection at 24K". I have no indication that the wheels bearings on either cycle (96 r850r and '06 F650gs Dakar) are damaged or excessively worn. I am simply being proactive since I enjoy maintenance work and for the first time in my riding life, have a garage in which I can tackle various projects.

Thanks for the advice.

Be well, ride safely.
    RK

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I bought a TUSK set from Rocky Mountain ATV to do the wheel bearings on the F800GS. I was satisfied with how it worked. I don't think it would take daily use but fine for the occasional use.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p...ring-remover-p

OM
    Thanks for the advice. I will check on the link.

Be well, ride safely,
    RK

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    FWIW- I don't think "yanking" a bearing out would save it for re-use. This thread-

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...gs-on-a-F800GS

May be of some help to you.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by miseenscene View Post
    Good day,

Yes, to clarify: the wheel bearings due for "inspection at 24K". I have no indication that the wheels bearings on either cycle (96 r850r and '06 F650gs Dakar) are damaged or excessively worn. I am simply being proactive since I enjoy maintenance work and for the first time in my riding life, have a garage in which I can tackle various projects.

Thanks for the advice.

Be well, ride safely.
    RK
    Inspection of the wheel bearing doesn't require removal of the bearing, and as OM said, I don't think I'd reuse one that I've hammered on while taking it out.

Here's a great video on how to inspect the wheel bearings:

If the wheel bearing does need to be replaced, I'd use the Motion Pro bearing remover tools.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Good day,

Thanks for the advice and the recommendation on pullers.

Be well, ride safely,

RK
    Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    Inspection of the wheel bearing doesn't require removal of the bearing, and as OM said, I don't think I'd reuse one that I've hammered on while taking it out.

Here's a great video on how to inspect the wheel bearings:

If the wheel bearing does need to be replaced, I'd use the Motion Pro bearing remover tools.