• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Flat Rear Tire

You could use the Anonymous Book to see if someone near you has a trailer and would be willing to help you transport your bike to Max.

It's not clear that OP is actually an MOA member.

But, there is surely an MOA local chapter nearby, probably filled with guys that are willing to help and have experience.

Yes, it's the 21st century and everything is online, but forum help is a poor second to help from a friend and BMW club member. There are other benefits as well.

Help

I agree with the comments about road side help. I am more than willing to help anyone on a motorcycle of any kind on the side of the road and have done so in the past. I am listed in the anonymous book, something I carry on my bike every ride, now easy to access on the phone.

Sadly, I no longer have a truck or trailer.

I am also willing to help out in my garage or point to my friend's airhead shop.

Hey, at least you only had a mono shock to change a tire on, try changing a tube on a city sidewalk with a twin shock equipped with a ride off stand, fun I hope never to have to do again, LOL. St.

Steve, a trick we learned long ago was to use a strap to secure the center stand, ride off or otherwise, to the cross over pipe at the header pipe, remove the front wheel, loosen the rear wheel, lift the rear of the bike and roll the rear wheel out. The things you learn that you hope you never have to do again, filed away for future use!

Gary, I've heard of this trick before. But a stock 4.00x18 rear tire will never just "roll out". It takes some work to work the rubber past the pinch point of the drum brake housing and the left side swing arm. If one does this process, be very careful that the bike doesn't tip over sideways or pulls back on you.

I'm a new 94. 1100 RS owner who just removed the rear wheel to pull a leaking shock. I've installed and removed tires and Spooner changed on multiple models over the years but must admit I was clueless how to get my rear wheel off, even in the garage. Ended up pulling the caliper, and removing the connection to the rear muffler to get it to flex just enough to allow the tire to scoot out. Someone commented to just deflate the tire, which in this case was completely flat. So I'm guessing just deflating the tire doesn't allow for the needed clearance. Wouldn't want to be doing those shennagains on the side of the road to pull a tire. Think I'll update my towing insurance.šŸ˜€šŸ‘

On the airheads, just deflate the tire, if it isnā€™t already flat, and wait to inflate it until itā€™s back on the drum. On the oilhead, yes, remove the rear caliper. Work smarter not harder.

Tip

I have found the only way I can get the rear tire off of my 84 R80RT is to lay the bike on its side and pull the wheel out. Of course this is only when I am not at home and have the lift, and such to do it properly.

Thank God, I haven't had many flats in the years I have been riding, it is a pain. I give BMW credit for going to the Mono shock system and the one side swing arm, makes things a heck of a lot easier. Of course they also have now gone tubeless even better yet.

My friend just had a massive Yamaha cruiser bike in to his shop for two new tires. I think it took him over an hour just to get the rear tire off and that was in a shop with proper tools. So, things could always be worse. St.

Hey, at least you only had a mono shock to change a tire on, try changing a tube on a city sidewalk with a twin shock equipped with a ride off stand, fun I hope never to have to do again, LOL. St.

My favorite was sitting in the rain on a muddy shoulder, being occasionally splattered by mud from trucks going by a few feet away, several miles outside Chicken, Alaska. Sometime about then I decided that tube type tires were a deal killer for any of MY future motorcycle purchases. YMMV.

Last edited:
My luck

LOL, I hear what you are saying Paul, only problem I would have is the darn nail would go into the sidewall and not the tread with my luck, I have never plugged a sidewall on any vehicle, supposed to be a no no, but perhaps to get to were the tire could be repaired or replaced, I would try it to limp there.

Lord, protect us from flat tires while we ride along with the other nonsense. St.

Rear Brake Arm

Is it my eyesight, or is the brake arm adjustment off by a spline? Not sure it's even adjustable (by slipping the arm 1-2 splines on the shaft), but 90 degrees, or slightly less, would be best for max mechanical advantage when applying the brake. Heaven knows, the rear brake needs all the help it can get. LOL

Is it my eyesight, or is the brake arm adjustment off by a spline? Not sure it's even adjustable (by slipping the arm 1-2 splines on the shaft), but 90 degrees, or slightly less, would be best for max mechanical advantage when applying the brake. Heaven knows, the rear brake needs all the help it can get. LOL

Yikes...I have no idea!

I backed the wing nut off a few turns to pull the wheel and put it back in the same spot upon re-install...did not change the position of the brake arm at all, though.

SPP

Back