• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Cracked bottom shock leg.

weschmann

Kawa Afterthought
On a recent 94 1100 purchase with 57000 miles I found the Ohlins rear shock leg cracked across the lower radius of the press fit bushing. Apparently there were replacement parts available at one time but have been discontinued. Anyone know if this is a condition exclusive to Ohlins or apparent over a wide variety of shocks. If it can't be welded I'm going to have to trash a very expensive shock that hasen't even had one rebuild even though about 9 years old. Seems odd that a reputable company like Ohlins wouldn't stand behind their product, but their statement was that they would not be restocking the replacement lower portion and to try having it welded or machine a new one.

Attachments

• 63170C56-BFC4-453A-B152-0825965FFE84.png
    63170C56-BFC4-453A-B152-0825965FFE84.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 100
Interesting. I remember buying a replacement for one of those in the late 2000s when it collapsed under a hard impact.

It should be easy enough to get one made out of steel, but if you continue to use the shock it should be rebuilt. My assumption is that it failed because the extension damping was shot and it topped out with a hard stop that eventually cracked the bracket in tension.

Not sure on welding that.....it would be tricky. I guess if I was to weld it I would cut a drop-over steel sleeve (sorta like a rectangular washer) padded so it wouldn’t chafe, as a safety.
On welding, I think the setup would start with a bolt or rod inserted through the holes to make the inevitable “line bore” less a chore. Once the weld was 50% completed, the bolt could be removed for the rest of the weld.
Let us know how you make out.
OM

Might be wise to check the alignment of the installed shock, as well. Something caused a lot of strain on that fitting…

Best,
DeVern

Wow, thanks to everyone for the replies. Not sure what caused it as I just bought the bike and noticed the oil leaking so disassembled it and took to a certified Ohlins rebuilder who found the damage. So now waiting on possible solutions before chucking it and purchasing a new one. I'll post back when I figure it out. Riding the original 94 oem shock no and definitely a difference😀. It sounds like the PO somehow cracked it but didn't realize the issue but it's something common to happen. Wouldn't have noticed it if the shock hadn't just started leaking and flagged at my initial licensing vehicle safety check. Glad I found it before any more damage could occur.

Back