• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Southern California Member

thatpete

Journey B4 Destination
My name is Pete and I’m a long time motorcycle rider (56 years) but a first time BMW owner. I did have an R69S in the early 70s, but it was chopped so I don’t count it. My past bikes have all been sport bikes, cruisers, and a few choppers and my new (to me) BMW is my first touring bike. It’s a fully-loaded 2017 R1200RT that only had 14K miles on it when I bought it. I’ve taken some serious road trips on some of my past bikes, but my 70 year old carcass is demanding a little more respect these days; thus, the RT.

I’m excited about being a BMW Boxer owner and a member of the BMW MOA and I’m looking forward to meeting some of you during my travels and interacting with you in these forums. I’ll add that I’m also a long time vBulletin user so there won’t be much of a learning curve.

Pete (that one)

IMG_0564A.JPG

Last edited:
Welcome, Pete! I'm sure "other" Pete's will be along at some point! Do you have a picture of that R69S? Would love to see your introduction ride to BMW. :thumb

Do you have a picture of that R69S?

I wish I still did. I would never have made a chopper out of a bike like that, but it was a work in progress when I bought it. I finished it and did it right, and it actually won best of show in several car & motorcycle shows. Sadly, all photos of the bike (this was the pre-digital era) were lost in a fire and I haven't been able to find any surviving photos.

So ist das Leben! Hmmm...archive magazine photos of those car shows! Maybe someone will put up some images on fb for Throw-Back-Thursday! Well, at least you have the vision in your mind! :thumb

Welcome Pete

It’s good to have you here at the party. May I recommend you stretch those RT legs and head to Great Falls this month. We rotate our national rally, this year it’s on the west coast, next year Springfield MO. Though, still a pretty long trip on a bike, if you can swing it, our rally is quite the experience I highly recommend it for new members. Don’t be like this RT owner and wait 8 years, living vicariously through the magazine before attending your first rally.

Great choice on bike btw. My first bike ever was an ’05 RT after 120k I sold it (like new) and upgraded to the wet head technology. Currently 72K on the 2016 RT runs like a top.

Wilkommen Pete!

IMHO, Tis about time you got around to a respectable Touring Machine! Now park your derrière in das saddle and Go For a Ride towards Gr8 Falls, MT in just a mere 3 weeks... Be there or be square man. Ya just don't know what's gonna happen unless you're there enjoying the action! Lebanon was a terrific gathering in '19. Gonna be hard to top, but we'll be sampling some adult libations in the Biergarten in the PM (just across from the sound stage). So show yourself in MT in other words...

Cheers from Rocket City!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

'14 K-GT -- '09 650GS-twin
'75 R90S -- '82 R100CS
- - - - - - - -'16 R1200RS

Had a Splendid Vintage Bikers Gathering today in Decatur... 5 in a row once more. Our Airheads over to the right...
Vintage-gathering.jpeg

Back