• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Advice on Hot Weather Pants

bluehole

I am looking to replace a pair of Firstgear HT Air Overpants. I seek three key features in riding pants:

1. Mesh...or as breathable as possible. The HTs are entirely mesh and breathe well. I want to stay cool in the hot weather.
2. I do some commuting so an overpant is essential. Overpants typically have a looser fit which enables me to wear street clothes inside the pants.
3. A full length or long zipper. I find it more difficult to get in and out of pants with knee length zippers. Pants with long zipper make entrance/exit so much easier.

I tried the Firstgear Air Rover Pant, but found it difficult to wear with my street clothes.

Can anyone recommend pants with these features?

I wear Aerostich Darien Light all summer over a pair of shorts and am fine. I commute daily with my Navy uniform underneath. I am in Virginia Beach and have worn them all over the southeast in summer. This was also on a HOT air cooled ElectraGlide as I just bought my GT a few weeks ago. Mesh isn't "king" when over 90 degrees.

https://www.ironbutt.com/ibmagazine/IronButt_1002_62-66_Hot.pdf

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I love my First Gear overpants air mesh. I was sad they still don't make them. I found another pair on ADV rider forum for sale, snapped them up. I too have tried other pants and the fit is not as good, roomy.

Let us know what you arrive at!

Bob

The Motoport pants are great. Kevlar mesh. They even custom make them in short fat sizes:whistle

+1 :thumb

Motoport riding gear is custom made for a perfect fit. My Motoport mesh pants are fourteen years old, with the pants beginning to show their age, but still fully functional. The jacket still looks good. :clap

+1 :thumb

Motoport riding gear is custom made for a perfect fit. My Motoport mesh pants are fourteen years old, with the pants beginning to show their age, but still fully functional. The jacket still looks good. :clap
Another brand I want to try!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I picked up a mesh set from Olympia that I really like.

You will notice that the pants have a horizontal zipper in the back waist. Jackets will have a similar zipper in the lower back. If you get a jacket and pants from the same manufacturer, the zippers should match. If you zip them together, they function more like a one-piece. If you go down, the jacket should not ride up as you slide along.

I have bought jackets and pants from five different manufacturers, and no piece ever matched up to a different brand.

Last edited:
Just as I was getting ready to order from Aerostich I see these post for Motoport. I will check them out.

orforester, the HT Overpant is not particularly fancy, but is does the job and holds up well. Good bang for the buck. Perhaps Firstgear will bring something similar out in the future.

detbmw, I have and like Olympia gear. However, they seem to be having a problem importing to the US. When I last checked (several weeks ago) most outlets for their products have very little or no stock.

I have had both Aerostich Darien and Aerostich AD-1 and definitely prefer the AD-1. They fit much nicer than the Darien. I commute year around in South Florida heat and these pants are great. I'm not a fan of mesh.

I checked out Motoport. Nice stuff, but pretty expensive.

I am currently looking at the Aerostich Darianlight Pant vs the Aerostich AD-1 Pant.

I wear a Klim Latitude and Aerostich AD-1 pants and strongly agree with the article about cooling. I, like most everyone probably, thought mesh was the way to go in the Memphis heat (commonly 100F+ and high humidity). I commute every day I can and with that combo, dehydration is not an issue. With the mesh gear I used to run, I'd be dying of thirst by the time I got home in the afternoon after a 40 minute commute.

Though it seems contra intuitive, non-mesh gear is the way to go in extreme high temperature conditions.

I wear a Klim Latitude and Aerostich AD-1 pants and strongly agree with the article about cooling. I, like most everyone probably, thought mesh was the way to go in the Memphis heat (commonly 100F+ and high humidity). I commute every day I can and with that combo, dehydration is not an issue. With the mesh gear I used to run, I'd be dying of thirst by the time I got home in the afternoon after a 40 minute commute.

Though it seems contra intuitive, non-mesh gear is the way to go in extreme high temperature conditions.

Absolutely +1 :thumb

Pants

I have 2 pairs of the Darians one yellow one black purchased both used and have less than $300 invested both completely waterproof. Sizing select your regular pant size they are made a bit larger so they fit over your regular pants or shorts

leather pants, bedouin style

Recent experience has virtue. This last week I rode 2500 miles, including from West Texas to Houston where the lowest "high" temperature was 97 degrees (all low humidity, though.) I use oversized (baggy) leather overalls with suspenders to hold them up, plus a mesh jacket, and a "dirt-bike" style helmet with a projecting chin (lots of ventilation.) It was quite tolerable, even at 102 degree temps. Being dressed like a bedouin actually works. I didn't realize how hot it was till I took my jacket off for lunches and then felt the intensity of the heat.

Going to spend the summer here on the Gulf (Houston and St Pete) so will have to wait and see what the higher humidity scenarios are like.

Last edited:
Back