• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New member in middle Tennessee

senseamidmadness

Neglected Bike Adopter
Hi folks,

I recently adopted a very neglected 1997 R850R, and figured I might as well join the biggest Internet repository of tomfoolery and knowledge related to Motorrad. I live and ride mostly in the middle Tennessee area and am slowly getting to know my Oilhead inside and out.

Just yesterday had the classic Hall Effect sensor failure, so that'll be fun to fix.

Otherwise, I hope to share some of the creative solutions I've come up with, as well as find answers to various questions I've got. I'm only a trial member for now but plan to be a full member very soon.

Thanks for having me.

Welcome htomsett from your neighbor to the south! Good luck with your project. Would love to see the before pics.

Welcome htomsett from your neighbor to the south! Good luck with your project. Would love to see the before pics.

I wish I had taken some, but I didn't. Got right to work on it without thinking about taking pictures.

As these things usually go, it looked a lot better in the classified ad, but the closer I got the worse it was. Leaking fork tubes, lots of gunk all over the front end because of it, rust on almost every external fastener, lots of cracked and old rubber parts, sun bleaching on all the black plastic, a huge dent in the fuel tank, 10-year-old tires, a broken turn signal...

It still looks pretty rough, but it's mechanically a lot more sound and a lot less neglected than it was. So I guess taking pictures now wouldn't be that different from when I got it. Cosmetics are secondary to me and will be addressed after I get it mechanically sound and trustworthy.

When I solder the Hall sensor back to working order and reinstall it, I'll post some pictures here for you folks.

Welcome.

Coincidentally, I have a 96 R850R in Eastern Tennessee, which I acquired over the winter. 20,000 miles with documented history but I was wondering about Hall effect sensor. Even with the low mileage the engine is 25 years old. I think I'll order one to have on hand given the experience you have had.

Perhaps we will cross paths somewhere between Nashville and Chattanooga one day.

Be well, ride safely.

RK

Back