Thread: New member in middle Tennessee

Neglected Bike Adopter

New member in middle Tennessee

Hi folks,

I recently adopted a very neglected 1997 R850R, and figured I might as well join the biggest Internet repository of tomfoolery and knowledge related to Motorrad. I live and ride mostly in the middle Tennessee area and am slowly getting to know my Oilhead inside and out.

Just yesterday had the classic Hall Effect sensor failure, so that'll be fun to fix.

Otherwise, I hope to share some of the creative solutions I've come up with, as well as find answers to various questions I've got. I'm only a trial member for now but plan to be a full member very soon.

Thanks for having me.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!
    One of our members has had great success in rebuilding the HES- https://forums.bmwmoa.org/member.php?28598-GSAddict You could send him a Private Message if interested.
    Could be a good lead for you.
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Welcome Aboard, Tom, from upper Alabama!

Check out your Feed for my response. Second Saturday Ride coming up to https://daddybillys.com

Ciao!
    HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

'14 K-GT -- '09 650GS-twin
    '75 R90S -- '82 R100CS
    - - - - - - + '16 R1200RS
    email:
    president@bmwmoal.org

Welcome htomsett from your neighbor to the south! Good luck with your project. Would love to see the before pics.
    Mama always told me not to look into the eyes of the sun...but Mama, that's where the fun is!

2009 R1200RT Sand Beige Metallic (aka Champipple), 2007 Honda VFR RWB

Welcome from Newfoundland.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon 7frrnSRiTt9Fk

Neglected Bike Adopter
    Quote Originally Posted by langoptc View Post
    Welcome htomsett from your neighbor to the south! Good luck with your project. Would love to see the before pics.

I wish I had taken some, but I didn't. Got right to work on it without thinking about taking pictures.

As these things usually go, it looked a lot better in the classified ad, but the closer I got the worse it was. Leaking fork tubes, lots of gunk all over the front end because of it, rust on almost every external fastener, lots of cracked and old rubber parts, sun bleaching on all the black plastic, a huge dent in the fuel tank, 10-year-old tires, a broken turn signal...

It still looks pretty rough, but it's mechanically a lot more sound and a lot less neglected than it was. So I guess taking pictures now wouldn't be that different from when I got it. Cosmetics are secondary to me and will be addressed after I get it mechanically sound and trustworthy.

When I solder the Hall sensor back to working order and reinstall it, I'll post some pictures here for you folks.

Welcome.

Coincidentally, I have a 96 R850R in Eastern Tennessee, which I acquired over the winter. 20,000 miles with documented history but I was wondering about Hall effect sensor. Even with the low mileage the engine is 25 years old. I think I'll order one to have on hand given the experience you have had.

Perhaps we will cross paths somewhere between Nashville and Chattanooga one day.

Be well, ride safely.

RK

Welcome from one born in Smyrna, TN currently living in lower Alabama.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA President