• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Paving on Natchez Trace Parkway, Tupelo MS area

Hey they have just started paving operations in the Tupelo MS area and on south this week(June 4 2001). Just a heads up you may encounter road paving and one lane road closures. The Natchez Trace has gotten in bad shape and it's pretty rough. I live right off the Trace south of Tupelo and i can verify it is ROUGH! According to the National Park Service, it is mainly due to excess 18 wheeler traffic on the Trace. The road was not designed for 80,000 pound trucks and there has been an increase in trucks using the trace. Yes i know there are large "no commercial vehice" signs posted and a $500 fine but they still get on there. They got 7 in one day recently. You would have to be an idiot to take a large truck on there. They are apparently drivers using google maps on their phone to navigate which pretty much says you are an idiot. There are no excuses, you get caught you pay $500 and you have to come back and appear in person in federal court. Enjoy the scenic trace, drivers. LOL

These is a section of the Natchez Trace in the Tupelo area that has been closed for quite a while and probably will be for a while longer. It's a Federally maintained road and they care not one little bit about how long it is closed. To detour around it use Interstate 22 to Highway 45 to 6/278 towards Pontotoc or vice versa. It's pretty obvious which way the detour goes. It might be maybe 10 miles or so further.

Back