Thread: Any camshaft issues with the Shift Cam bikes?

Any camshaft issues with the Shift Cam bikes?

My 2018 R1200GS has been quite a bit of trouble in the 7,500 miles and 2.5 years that I have owned it. The spokes on the rear wheel loosened up while I was in Italy and by the time I was back in the USA a spoke was gone and there was 8 mm of free play in the rear wheel. I learned to ignore the noisy camshafts until last year when BMW replaced them under warranty.

So while I love the bike for the adventure ride around Europe that it provided me, I have made up my mind to sell the bike as I no longer trust it for the future. The 2014 and newer bikes have had plenty of camshaft failures and even more are very likely to have the problem them just haven’t been taken to the dealer yet or are getting turned away like happened to me several times before I was able to get the noise addressed. I am glad I did or I would have had a $2,000 repair bill if out of warranty.

So the million dollar question is . . . Which bike to buy next? BMW doesn’t deserve any money out of me for the troubles they have caused me but maybe the shift cam engine has NOT had any camshaft failures. I haven’t seen any reports yet but many of those bikes have not seen much mileage yet.

Has anyone heard of camshaft failures on the new shift cam camshaft? I know it is up to the suppliers to build them properly as opposed to whether it is shift cam or not but maybe they got it sorted out for the new generation bikes.

NC

I saw one post where an owner claimed that said they'd seen on a shiftcam bike. I called this person out and said to show us evidence. You know, pictures. All I got was crickets. I do my own maintenance and when I did the 12k on my '19 1250RT the cams looked and felt perfect. Clearances at TDC were also perfect. I yet to see actually evidence that it's happening on shiftcam bikes.
    Scott Taranovich
    McKinney, Texas
    2019 R1250RT

You wont get any answers from us ‘21 RT owners, we’re too confused/frustrated by the TFT system to notice anything else.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cruisincruzan View Post
    You wont get any answers from us ‘21 RT owners, we’re too confused/frustrated by the TFT system to notice anything else.
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by cruisincruzan View Post
    That right there is funny. I just read where a adaptive headlight stuck in the wrong position and the guy could not see. A restart fixed it but I really dont need all this tech.

How would you feel if your go around a corner and your light sticks in the corner angel and your going strait?

I am really happy I enjoy low tech on my bikes. My 17.5 GS has all I need or want. No TFT just good old fashion gauges.
    The above is worth what you paid for it..........
    Lee 2017.5 R 1200 GSW

The marketing department have dictated that tech trumps reliability when it comes to the BMW brand.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk