• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Lotsa Airhead Rallies Coming Up

jhall

BMWMOA #24809
Looking at the calendar, there are several Airhead / MOA functions scheduled this summer. This weekend there's the BMWMOA Square Root Rally in MD. (Too bad MD doesn't recognize 2nd Amendment rights of out of state folks.) Next weekend, 11-13 June there's an Airhead Gathering in Pontiac IL, and an Airhead 'Gathering Of The Clans' in Ferguson NC. Then on June 20th, there's an Airhead 'Rolling Rally' from MO to the BMWMOA National Rally in MT. Next month, 15-18 July there's the BMWMOA Top Of The Rockies rally in Colorado. I rode the Rockies two years ago on the GoldWing, and it was lotsa fun.

I gotta start pleading my case to the wife, why I 'need' to make at least some of those gatherings. It's been tooo long since I have caught up with any Airhead brethren. I recall, back in the day, Airheads were all there was at BMW rallies, then along came the K100s, and the rest is history.

Hopefully next year I'll be able to start hosting rallies again. The next one will be ADV and Airhead.

Gathering Of The Clans

I returned home yesterday eve from attending the Airheads' Clans rally in Ferguson NC. I left a day early to head home, but also took a meandering route through eastern KY. The rally was attended mostly by Airhead and ADV bikers, but a few brand 'x' bikers were also there, so no discrimination. Attendees were super nice people, who know how to have a good time, and the location could not have been better, in a well established MC campground. With my tent beside gurgling stream, I slept like a baby.

I was torn between the Clans rally and another Airhead gathering in Pontiac IL. Both were about same distance for me, 375-400 miles, one north and one south. I was leaning toward north, but a last minute check of the weather forecast said 90 degrees in Pontiac and sunny, and 74 degrees and rain in Ferguson. So I chose to go south. I rode mostly in light rain down, with a few heavier showers, which helped keep temps cool and comfortable in the 70s. I don't mind riding in rain, and prefer temps in the 70s. At camp, there was very little rain, but excellent cloud coverage.

The BMWMOA Intl Meet is later this month in MT; a group is leaving from MO on the 20th, with camping stops every 400-450 miles along the way. I need to decide, by the 15th in order to take advantage of BMWMOA's discount tickets. Only prep on the 95RT would be to change oil and filter. While at the rally, I'd plan to ride on over to Idaho, Washington and Oregon, just for the heck of it. Only major deterrent is the heat, which is likely to be downright hot.

Is anyone else considering the BMWMOA Meet in MT?

Last edited:
Rallies

We had lots of good low key fun at Pontiac, probably half of the bikes were sidecar rigs, with the world getting right again I am sure we will be gathering again next year on the 2nd weekend in June

Back