• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Stored 1987 k75s maintenance task list advice

jimnto

Hello all - Picking up 1986 K75s (stored at least two years maybe 10) on Saturday and wondering if you don't mind providing a short/minimal/smart/effective/ordered maintenance list for a stored bike such as this.

I have seen maintenance lists but I am wondering for a stored bike if it is different. For example the rear brake reservoir has disintegrated from the UV light of the sun.

Btw as an intro here is my progression of bikes since my return to biking at 52:
1986 K75C→1992 R110RS→2003 Suzuki DL1000→2016 DL650→2004 DL650→AND NOW BACK TO 1987 K75S (Old→Newer→Older)
My_on_the_k75s.jpg

Change all the fluids
New Tires
Dump the fuel if any
Drain the carbs
Fresh battery
Check the valve lash
fresh fuel and good fuel cleaner
Ride it.

Mine was dormant for 10 plus years -
Fluids (all)
Battery
Numerous missing fastners
Evicted the inhabitants
Tires
Cleaned the tank
Air cleaner
A few electrical clean ups
My fuel system was trashed so pump, sending unit, injectors (90 dollars refurbished from Beemer Boneyard)
Plugs
I removed my ABS and did stainless lines
Had to clean my ignition switch (bike would randomly cut out)

And.......rode it! 1100 miles so far, you’ll love it. Congratulations. Beemer Boneyard and Euromotoelectric are great resources.
B7EE21A4-86F5-4C55-A598-1A4D24F7F7FD.jpgD0A00116-315C-4F70-B84C-CA6F56AA7F95.jpg

Last edited:
I would seriously consider replacing ALL the flexible fuel lines, in tank and out. They are probably original and 30+years old.

Frank

Update - varnish in tank mouse nest air intake

Just wanted to share an update. Sending unit covered in gunk
20210606_133632.jpg
Air intake filled with animal nest
20210605_141711.jpg

Don't forget to replace your crank case breather hose - https://www.beemerboneyard.com/11151460480.html

I purchased a 1995 K75RT 3 years ago and spent all Winter screwing around with it. Here's what I did. now, keep in mind I rode it home from Virginia on December 21st to New Hampshire and got a smoking deal on it for the cold weather ride so it was rideable but it was drinking more fuel than it should have and dropping a bit too much fuel into the exhaust (smelled bad on WOT and surged a bit)

• Oil
  • Air Filter
  • Oil Filter
  • Crankcase Breather
  • Battery
  • Valve Adjustment
  • 3 spark plugs
  • 3 Spark plug coils
  • Final drive fluid
  • lubricated splines at both ends
  • (did not do clutch spline thing but had a dealer do it)
  • MaxBMW flushed the brake fluid (I didn't have a pump that had enough PSI to flush the ABS)
  • New Pads front & rear
  • New fuel filter after cleaning tank
  • New tires
  • flushed coolant
  • replaced all coolant hoses
  • Replaced brake lines with stainless steel braided
  • Checked fuel lines for any dry rot
  • New fork oil & heavier springs
  • New Yacugar rear shock from Beemershop
  • Side stand & center stand replacement springs
  • Replaced valve cover gasket

Then it was ready to ride...it was rideable before but this really was a good restoration of just all service items.

the whole saga is here - https://advrider.com/f/threads/adamchandlers-felicity-1995-k75rt-build-thread.1369965/

Bike Works - starting new thread - Here it is

It just passed safety. New fuel pump & filter, tried ebay injectors (sucked - 4 hole - sh*t) rejuvenated mine with acetone, carburetor cleaner and a 9 volt battery. Not sure if I put too much fork oil in and wondering about the clutch - but that is for the new thread.
Cheers Y'all for the ideas and support.
20210815_150649.jpg

Back