• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Specialty tools for 1200 vs. 1250

I am considering trading in my '15 RT for a GSA. I do my own maintenance and have the necessary BMW specialty tools. Are the TDC tool and the cam timing tool the same on the 1250 or would the new engine need new tools. I'm pretty comfortable with this engine, so if it does need new ones, maybe a lightly used '18 1200GSA would be the ticket?

Answers?

Opinions?

That H-D PanAmerica with it’s no-maintenance hydraulic lifters is looking better all the time…. :whistle

Best,
DeVern

Yes. Left and Right I think I saw they are 170 for the pair. Now If you want them I would order now as they may be or become rare fast!

I am pretty sure the TDC and Cam Chain Tension are the same.

Great! Forewarned is forearmed.

Thank you very much!

Yes. Left and Right I think I saw they are 170 for the pair. Now If you want them I would order now as they may be or become rare fast!

I am pretty sure the TDC and Cam Chain Tension are the same.

Let me see if I can find the link.

EDIT I looked the part number up and I can not find them available anywhere. I have included a link to the part number on a German site. It is 169.95 but then shipping is going to be a bit. If I was buying a 1250 I would order the tools from Germany and wait. It is going to be a wait. If you want to get a idea look at cam timing tools for BMW cars. II stumbled onto that and the kits look a lot like what we have for our bikes but less pcs.

https://www.kfm-motorraeder.de/cms/en/genuine-spare-parts/bmw-spare-parts?itemid=83302467268

I looked on the R1250RT Service DVD I got today and the main parts of the cam chain tensioner tool (lower 2 parts) are identical, HOWEVER the spacer ring is NOT the same - this will change how far in the tensioner goes and how much tension it loads the on the cam chain

R1250 with VIN starting with WB10J63 (Order No. 83 30 0 444 282 )

R1250RT Cam Chain Tensioner.jpg

The 2016 R1200GSA I have uses the following (Order No. 83 30 2 339 885 ):
R1200GSA Cam Chain Tensioner.jpg

So I would be VERY CAREFUL as using the 1200 tensioner's spacer sleeve looks like it's quite different in length from the R1250's
I put the part numbers to order above so if you have the tools for a 1200 you only need the Camshaft alignment plates shown in a previous post and the new sleeve for the 1250

Hope this helps.

Dave

AS I Said I was not sure as I have no interest. The ring can be made out of any copper or brass pipe once the dimension is known.

It is the jigs themselves that are going to be unobtainable.

It is good information the TDC tool and the Cam chain tensioner proper work.

Boxflyer will be on it for that ring as soon as he gets a chance I am sure.

I'm ordering the sleeve - can post here what the length is once I have it (give it a month or two)
I was also told by Bob's BMW that they can get the cam phasing jigs - but it's gonna be spendy (still cheaper than one dealer valve adjustment)
Anyone know if the shims are the same diameter as the R1200 motor's shims??

BTW, I See your profile says Harrisburg, I grew up in Camp Hill and New Cumberland (in early 70's)...

Dave

How much for the jigs and any time frame?

Like I said they list for 169.95 so I cant wait to see what the cost really is.

I got a price of $167.68 via email from Scott in parts at Bob's BMW (www.bobsbmw.com)
I gave them PN 83302467268

Of course it'll take a bit to get it from Germany...

The Cam Chain Tension sleeve was $31 or so (can't recall if I posted that already and too lazy to go back and look LOL)

Dave

Back