• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2012 R1200RT front brake reservoir gasket problems

ken e

Ken
brake res gasket.jpg

Having reoccurring problems with the urine cup front brake reservoir gasket being deformed and need some advice on if "they all do that" and I just have to deal with it, or it is just my bike and repairs are needed.

Very often in the summer, the gasket is deformed down into the brake fluid. I then remove the cover, wipe DOT 4 brake fluid off gasket and cap, then reinstall. Seems to be good for a few days / weeks, then happens again. Brakes feel a bit mushy before gasket cleaning / bleeding, and much better after.

Bike is parked out in the sun at work and all the black parts get nice and warm. Have been replacing the gasket about once a year. Bleed brakes about twice a year. There are 2 small slots cast into the cap and they are open and clean. Screws are fastened down by hand using T20 torx screw driver. Have used BMW fluid, auto store fluid, currently using Amsoil DOT 3/4.

Cannot tell if there is air pressure pushing the gasket down? or if there is a vacuum sucking the gasket down?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• brake res.jpg
    brake res.jpg
    269.2 KB · Views: 74
Not sure on your bike. My experience has been the gasket expands/droops/settles into the brake fluid to keep the "sloshing" down and reduce the atmospheric exposure of the ambient air to cut down on the hydroscopic nature of brake fluid.
I wouldn't be worried unless the fluid starts to escape from under the cap.
OM

I agree with Gary's comment. You are probably doing more harm to the brake fluid by repeatedly opening the reservoir and exposing it to the humid Virginia air.

It's suppose to do that. As pads wear, brake fluid level drops. Since the brake system is air tight, the vacuum from the fluid level dropping pulls on the flexible gasket. I have seen this on other vehicles.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mine deformed like that and would no longer sit properly and seal. I tried to "retrain" it to the correct shape but that didn't work. So I just bought a new one. Problem solved. Yes, the price was stupid $$$.

Back