• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Visor vision sucks in the rain

AjaxTheDog

My Arai visor gets all wet and drippy, then fogs up at stops unless I open it. Rain seems to cling to it. Really bad, can't see clearly, and dangerous in heavy rain because I can't see pooled water on the road ahead. I know RainX isn't recommended for plastic but I think I'll be trying it anyway since I get a new visor every couple of years or so after they get scratched up from airborne road debris. Any better ideas out there?

I use a pin lock visor religiously. If this is a too expensive option, rain x does make a plastic care product, rain x for plastic I believe. I have some, I’ve used it, not as good as an effective pin lock design.

First thing is you should ("shall" Navy talk[emoji846]) get a pinlock shield for your fogging woes. Next there is a product called Motosolutions RainCoat Pro. This stuff is amazing for face shields and last quit awhile. I used to be able to buy a spray bottle of the stuff on Amazon, but it hasn't been available for 5 years. Cycle World has little sample packets for cheap, but are kind of a pain because its more of a hard wax substance that you have to rub in. A pain but worth the effort. More readily available is RainX for PLASTICS. Make sure you get the plastic version! It works but doesn't last as long as raincoat.

Ebay has the raincoat products but are cheaper at Cycle Gear IIRC.

https://motosolutions.com/raincoat-advanced-water-repellent-coating/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184432640872

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

I use Lemon Pledge to clean my visor. It also makes the water bead up and blow off like rain x.
. +1 started in 2004 and always works best inside and out plus windscreen and everything else, and smells good. I like that the bugs are easy off.

Heated visor

Nothing worked well for me until I got a heated visor. Bell makes some for their helmets, for snowmobiles, I think. Pinlocks and the various surface wipes didn't work that well for me. When I need the visor heat I plug it into the battery charging plug directly.

Had same problem, went to pin-lock solved the fogging. I use rain-x windshield cleaner for visor helps with droplets. Also when at speed turn head slightly and let the wind clear visor.

I use the pin lock shield if the weather is cold or when I think to pack it. I also use a Scott No Fog Cloth that I acquired years ago, which I wipe the inside of the shield with. I also use the store brand furniture polish versus Pledge. Not sure if either makes a difference in the rain but for cleaning, it works well on the helmet and face shield, in fact I often use it to clean the bike up when traveling.

First thing is you should ("shall" Navy talk[emoji846]) get a pinlock shield for your fogging woes. Next there is a product called Motosolutions RainCoat Pro. This stuff is amazing for face shields and last quit awhile. I used to be able to buy a spray bottle of the stuff on Amazon, but it hasn't been available for 5 years. Cycle World has little sample packets for cheap, but are kind of a pain because its more of a hard wax substance that you have to rub in. A pain but worth the effort. More readily available is RainX for PLASTICS. Make sure you get the plastic version! It works but doesn't last as long as raincoat.

Ebay has the raincoat products but are cheaper at Cycle Gear IIRC.

https://motosolutions.com/raincoat-advanced-water-repellent-coating/

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184432640872

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Bottle currently available here: https://motorcycleinnovations.ca/collections/visibility/products/raincoat®-pro

Hi Bill. I'm here in Denver as well and ride and commute all year. Here's what works for me:

1 - Pinlock - Period, full stop.
2 - Lemon Pledge on the outside only. Don't get pledge on the Pinlock. Use Pledge before every ride.
3 - My waterproof gloves have a thumb wiper, very useful for clearing crud, or when moving slowly.
4 - Clean visors work better. Moisture sticks to dirt. Every 2-3 weeks I take the visors off my two helmets and wash them in warm soapy water (use dishsoap). Remove the pinlock, wash the visor, wash the pinlock insert. Rinse both with clean warm water. Dry with a microfiber (be very careful not to damage the seal on the pinlock). Reinstall (watch Youtube vid on installing pinlock).

Visors need moving air to clear water on the outside. Drop windscreen or sit/stand up to get moving air on the visor. Turn head to one side and the other, wind from the side clears the center of the visor instantly.
For fogging, make sure you have a breath guard in your helmet. They usually don't come installed from the factory, but they make a huge difference.

Back