Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Advice for Touring in Hot Weather

Quote Originally Posted by glenfiddich View Post
    That's not always easy to do when traveling long distances. 53 degrees in northern Vermont today, the warmest it has been all week. Tomorrow I set out for the rally on a circuitous route. By the time I reach Colorado on Sunday the temp will be in the upper 80s.

Pete
    Oh I get that. I just returned from a definitely circuitous Western State ride. Day one leaving started in 70ís, then West TX/ Eastern NM desert heat, finished with snow in campsite in NM mountains. I was removing/ adding/ layers all day. Pretty much had minimal to heated liner adjustments each day and state. Desert to mountain at some point and back down or up.

Iím talking about being indoor climate controlled and then leaving on a trip without much outdoors time.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

We each have cool vests in a gallon ziploc which gets water and sometimes ice at fuel stops. Most places let us fill up a big mouth sport bottle with ice and water if we buy fuel.

Using some sinks in a convenience store makes me clinch my teeth... not doing that!

We often just pour a cool water down the jacket to wet base layer while rolling thru scorched landscapes.
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Hot

Riding to work and back on many summer days I wore a mesh jacket, t shirt under that carry a gallon zip lock to put shirt in and soak during hydration rest stops.Shirt will hold about 1/2 liter of liquid usually stop at rest areas, parks, and rural churches almost all of these places have a tap where you can fill your water bottle or zip lock.
    Most times in very hot weather I also carry one of the plastic pump spray bottles from the dollar store, I than use that to spray the shirt, face, arms, head and any thing else that is overheated.