• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

The Fatherland is watching....

kthflieger

Just got this article from Motorrad und Reisen - essentially a new law was recently proposed in Germany to mandate electronic surveilance of all new motorcycles, with the bike constantly downloading GPS position, acceleration, lean angle, registration info, and many other items....
This one might be one to watch. I have included the headline excerpt:
Geschwindigkeit, Schräglage und Beschleunigung werden permanent an die zuständige Behörde gesendet
In § 63e der „Drucksache 432/21“, die am 28.05.2021 dem Bundesrat zur Abstimmung vorgelegt wird, soll den zuständigen Behörden die automatisierte elektronische Erhebung und Speicherung von Daten erlaubt werden. Was genau die Behörden wissen wollen, steht sogar im Text:

Geschwindigkeit
Beschleunigung oder Verzögerung
Position des Fahrzeugs
Zeitangabe
Fahrtrichtung
Lenkwinkel
Lenkradwinkel
Drehbewegung um die Fahrzeughochachse (Schräglage)
Fahrzeugbreite
Fahrzeuglänge
Status der Fahrzeugbeleuchtungseinrichtungen und der Scheibenwischer
Fahrzeugcharakteristik: Pkw, Lkw, Krad, öffentliches Verkehrsmittel, Fahrzeug mit Sonderrechten oder Fahrzeug des öffentlichen Personennahverkehrs
ZertifikatsID

On a different note - did anyone notice the the governor who signed into law the legal possession of all drugs in small amounts in Oregon just dumped the lane splitting law that passed the Oregon state legislature......chalk up another brilliant move by Gov Brown.

On a different note - did anyone notice the the governor who signed into law the legal possession of all drugs in small amounts in Oregon just dumped the lane splitting law that passed the Oregon state legislature......chalk up another brilliant move by Gov Brown.

The governor makes perfect sense....If everyone is stoned then its probably unsafe to lane split.

Just got this article from Motorrad und Reisen - essentially a new law was recently proposed in Germany to mandate electronic surveilance of all new motorcycles, with the bike constantly downloading GPS position, acceleration, lean angle, registration info, and many other items....
This one might be one to watch.

Is this across the board for all new motorcycles in Germany?
I don’t recall this tech being mentioned in the press release for the new KLR650.

So much for no politics in the forum. :scratch

E.

Not really political- at least the issue of drugs with no easy test ability and the consequence for riders. That a governor who allows this insanity is stupid- isn’t a political statement- it’s a fact.

All this fancy information has become commonplace on larger cranes- especially the cranes made in Germany. Built in modems report non-specified problems such as overloads which can cause varying problems and provide a communication portal for diagnostic purposes.
Migrating this technology to a motorcycle seems a bit much and leads me back to my opinion of examples of “true” motorcycle freedom riding. Examples would be a Honda Cub and the Captain America bike. ;)
OM

All this fancy information has become commonplace on larger cranes- especially the cranes made in Germany. Built in modems report non-specified problems such as overloads which can cause varying problems and provide a communication portal for diagnostic purposes.
Migrating this technology to a motorcycle seems a bit much and leads me back to my opinion of examples of “true” motorcycle freedom riding. Examples would be a Honda Cub and the Captain America bike. ;)
OM

Spot on. Without getting political, the German equivalent to the US constitution is substantially different when it comes to individual rights - no need to lose any sleep.

E. :usa

This one might be one to watch. I have included the headline excerpt:
Geschwindigkeit, Schräglage und Beschleunigung werden permanent an die zuständige Behörde gesendet
In § 63e der „Drucksache 432/21“, die am 28.05.2021 dem Bundesrat zur Abstimmung vorgelegt wird, soll den zuständigen Behörden die automatisierte elektronische Erhebung und Speicherung von Daten erlaubt werden. Was genau die Behörden wissen wollen, steht sogar im Text:

Geschwindigkeit
Beschleunigung oder Verzögerung
Position des Fahrzeugs
Zeitangabe
Fahrtrichtung
Lenkwinkel
Lenkradwinkel
Drehbewegung um die Fahrzeughochachse (Schräglage)
Fahrzeugbreite
Fahrzeuglänge
Status der Fahrzeugbeleuchtungseinrichtungen und der Scheibenwischer
Fahrzeugcharakteristik: Pkw, Lkw, Krad, öffentliches Verkehrsmittel, Fahrzeug mit Sonderrechten oder Fahrzeug des öffentlichen Personennahverkehrs
ZertifikatsID

Here's a Google Translation of the German text:

Speed, lean angle and acceleration are permanently sent to the responsible authority
In § 63e of "Drucksache 432/21", which will be submitted to the Federal Council for a vote on May 28, 2021, the competent authorities are to be allowed to automatically collect and store data electronically. What exactly the authorities want to know is even in the text:

speed
Acceleration or deceleration
Position of the vehicle
time indication
Direction of travel
Steering angle
Steering wheel angle
Rotation around the vertical axis of the vehicle (inclined position)
Vehicle width
Vehicle length
Status of vehicle lights and windshield wipers
Vehicle characteristics: cars, trucks, motorcycles, public transport, vehicles with special rights or vehicles used in local public transport
Certificate ID

Here's a Google Translation of the German text:

Speed, lean angle and acceleration are permanently sent to the responsible authority
In § 63e of "Drucksache 432/21", which will be submitted to the Federal Council for a vote on May 28, 2021, the competent authorities are to be allowed to automatically collect and store data electronically. What exactly the authorities want to know is even in the text:

speed
Acceleration or deceleration
Position of the vehicle
time indication
Direction of travel
Steering angle
Steering wheel angle
Rotation around the vertical axis of the vehicle (inclined position)
Vehicle width
Vehicle length
Status of vehicle lights and windshield wipers
Vehicle characteristics: cars, trucks, motorcycles, public transport, vehicles with special rights or vehicles used in local public transport
Certificate ID

This will never happen in the US of A because the German law requires something we are very short on: " competent authorities". :hide

Nothing wrong with data. It’s the corrupt use of data for “privileged” use that is the problem.
When I hear of a plan like this I like to trace the lineage of how the concept came to be- and why.
OM

Nothing wrong with data. It’s the corrupt use of data for “privileged” use that is the problem.
When I hear of a plan like this I like to trace the lineage of how the concept came to be- and why.
OM

You’ve never ridden in the Alps, I take it, or anywhere on Corsica..... :burnout

You’ve never ridden in the Alps, I take it, or anywhere on Corsica..... :burnout

Nope. 10 years after this info downloaded/uploaded, someone will finally be trained to reset your bike after it falls over in a parking lot :D
OM

Back