Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Mystery Wire

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    So, it is the final plan to plug the mystery wire into the terminal 86 on the headlight relay. This decision has been made with the vast amount of help I got here in the forum as well as from private email correspondence.

LOL, I have to say I was very confused with a wire coloring. Six wiring diagrams many questions, many answers, The final proof will be when I get the bike back together and powered up. But this was a step in the right direction. St.
    Can you explain why you would plug it into 86 on the relay? Isn't there already a green/white wire there? That idea must have come from your private correspondence as I don't see anything in the posts which would suggest that as an option. (but it is an interesting puzzle)

The green/white is the always-on power that the relay originally had. This gets replaced with the switched power from the new euroswitch.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Steve,

I found a good diagram of the Euroswitch wiring. It's on my website page now. Still researching the different relay that is shown. From what I can see, models without the switch had a diode in the relay. A guy on ADV reports that when he puts both the key and the switch into Park, he has full power backfeeding to the bike. Not sure if that is the relay or just a miswiring on his part. I have a note on my page that says that the headlight may come on with cranking if you have the wrong relay. I haven't spent time yet figuring out the full consequences of having the wrong relay.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Relay

Hello Anton, IkChris mentioned changing relays in an older MOA post, I added the link to the post here earlier. I sent him a private message asking for clarification have yet to hear from him.

Meanwhile, I will check out your site and look to see if I can get the Euro relay or at least find a source just in case.

Thanks for the help. St.

Yep, I remember that and I posted in the ADV thread how the relay does provide that separation between the two park circuits. At first glance I don't see why the diode would affect it, but a) i have a stuffy head and am not at my best, and b) the euro diagram has 85 and 86 reversed at the relay. Which wouldn't matter if you are using the non-diode relay, but it just throws a wrench into the troubleshooting if one has a stuffy head.

85 and 86 are the relay coils. DIN convention is to ground 85. The BMW switched headlight diagram (without diode) shows 86 being grounded. The US headlight diagram shows 85 grounded. The diode connects to 86, theoretically allowing current to flow from ground to 87b (like that is going to happen) if one were to have the diode relay and the euro harness as literally described.

On your bike, which (85 or 86) is the brown wire at the relay? 85 I assume. I have no idea if they actually wired the euro bikes differently or it's just sloppiness on BMW's part.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube

Update? And which relay do you have? Trying to figure out if I need to add more info to that page while it is fresh in my mind.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube

Sorry

Hello Anton, sorry, I will get to it today, other stuff has cropped up and I haven't been near the bike. St.

Relay

Looks like I have the relay without the diode? Here are pictures, sorry, best quality with what I have at hand. St.IMG_20210604_101213392.jpgIMG_20210604_101158359.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by STEVENRANKIN View Post
    Hello Anton, IkChris mentioned changing relays in an older MOA post, I added the link to the post here earlier. I sent him a private message asking for clarification have yet to hear from him.

Meanwhile, I will check out your site and look to see if I can get the Euro relay or at least find a source just in case.

Thanks for the help. St.
    Yes, what's required is the relay shown in parts system for 1977 bikes ... the last year (in USA) that had a headlight switch. You can see in the parts system the part number difference.

With current relay and headlight off, hitting starter button will illuminate the headlight.

With proper relay, the headlight is always extinguished when hitting the starter button.

Of course also part of retrofitting a headlight switch is removing the wire from terminal board to headlight relay that actually makes the headlight full time.

You can see the two relay choices here

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=61_0231
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

Thanks

Hey Kent, thanks for the reply, things are getting worked out and the mystery is solved. All I have to do now is order the proper relay to make the change complete. Jumper wire is gone all that is left is the Euro spec wiring.

I guess I should have done a better picture of the relay, sorry folks smart phone, not so smart user. St.

Added part no info to my post since you replied
    Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S

The relay without the diode is what I see in the diagrams with the euro switch.

Iíve lost track. What exactly isnít working properly now?
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube

Everything is fine

Anton, you aren't missing anything, it is just confusion due to the different people answering the forum at different times. One of the big problems with this form of communication.

Everything is fine as far as I know, St.