• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Any suggestions for good riding boots?

I buy what ever popular brand of military style boot is on sale. Wearing a pair of Bates right now, last pair are Danners, down graded to shop boots now. Most any of them have Gore-Tex or some water proof lining available. I have a pair of Merrell hiking boots I like in hot weather. Air flows right through them, definitely not waterproof, but comfortable on hot days.

Aerostich Combat lites if you can find them.
Speed laces make for easy on and off.
Bullet proof.

Joe

I concur. Solid basic leather boots. Have worn mine from temps in 100+ to freezing, kept my feet well protected. Several years old and still in good condition.

I buy what ever popular brand of military style boot is on sale. Wearing a pair of Bates right now, last pair are Danners, down graded to shop boots now. Most any of them have Gore-Tex or some water proof lining available. I have a pair of Merrell hiking boots I like in hot weather. Air flows right through them, definitely not waterproof, but comfortable on hot days.
I've used my old Danner boots for years but after a 7 day trip recently I returned with a hole on one of my toes. I guess all the shifting caused rubbing on my toe. Probably due to Danner's not being motorcycle boots with shifter pads.

I've used my old Danner boots for years but after a 7 day trip recently I returned with a hole on one of my toes. I guess all the shifting caused rubbing on my toe. Probably due to Danner's not being motorcycle boots with shifter pads.

I never get that long of life out of a pair of boots. Maybe three years as riding boots, then 2-3 years as shop boots. I wear out the soles, or the lining first.

I have been using SIDI Canyon Gore boots for several years. The have been very comfortable to ride in and to walk around in as well.

A-Stars Toucan

Love these. Waterproof, very well armored, two buckle and Velcro moto style closure. I’ve had them for seven years and they just get better every year. They are pricey but worth every penny. I’ve had a few low side get offs that could have resulted in severe lower leg injuries but came away unscathed. They can be resoled as well.

SIDI Adventure 2 Gore Tex

I have been using SIDI Canyon Gore boots for several years. The have been very comfortable to ride in and to walk around in as well.

Because I'm vertically challenged and riding S1kRR, I got a pair of the SIDI Adventure 2 Gore-Tex's, even before SIDI made the 'mids.' The extra tall sole was all I wanted, so I love them for that, I feel 100% more confident that I can stop and put my foot down and keep me & the bike upright. And yes, I did need to lower the clutch pedal as far it would go. But they're very comfortable and I don't feel compelled to "get these torture devices off my feet" immediately after the ride is over, like I would with Ski Boots. I managed once to forgot to bring business casual shoes with me to work once, and I wore them all day. If I had to do it over, I definitely would have went with mid heights, because the talls really do feel like ski boots at times.

I bought a pair of these after researching reviews from leo's/mils who've used them. 3 weeks, 3600 miles, 5 states, a few soaker days and these boots are waterproof, very lightweight [ as compared to my Timberland's ], comfortable to walk in all day. I forgot I was wearing boots most of the time, they are that lightweight.

https://altaigear.com/shop/8-waterproof-boot/

Wide feet, large calves

FWIW…
I have wide hooves, measuring 4E on the traditional Brannock device, US size 10. I also have huge calf muscles (19.5 in., genetics + exercise) and a high instep.
I am most comfortable in New Balance sneakers, US 10.5, 2E width. (I know NB makes shoes in 4E, but find them too roomy sometimes, although they are what my foot probably wants.) This note for reference only — I do not ride in sneakers! ;)
I have had great comfort and performance with the Sidi Canyon GoreTex boots — they fit comfortably and are well built (size Euro 44). I wore these on a 30 day cross country trip that happened to include an Iron Butt run and an amazing 4+ hour toad-strangling rainstorm in Kansas. Temperatures ranged from 35 — 116 degrees F. on the trip. I was comfortable throughout the day, every day, and always dry down there. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/sidi-canyon-gore-tex-boots
I also have some TCX Airtech boots, which are well featured and built to fairly accommodate us wide paws, and are very breathable and waterproof. I have not torture tested these as I have the Sidi’s, but I do like them. https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/tcx-airtech-evo-gore-tex-boots
To complement my new RT, I recently tried a pair of BMW’s Ride Sneakers, which I thought would be good for more casual rides in the neighborhood. I liked the looks of them, but really liked being able to adjust the fit just right with the laces, but get in and out of them by using the side zipper feature. I was surprised to find they were quite wearable, even with the wide foot and high instep. So I kept them! https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/bmw-ride-sneakers
YMMV

Last edited:
Chippewa “Rally” boots

Chippewa “Rally” boots: real heavy leather, many sizes, very comfortable to walk in. Fairly tall boot, heel a little “high” (bikerish). I’ver had for 6 years, extremely comfortable, stitched sole !!!!

At the Great Falls Rally I pick up a pair of Falco "Mixto 2" boots as my old BMW boots were worn out with a hole in the heel. I had purchased a pair of Falco "Patrol" boots at the 2019 rally in Lebanon (a lighter ankle high, around town boot) that fit my narrow feet perfectly and decided to go with the brand for my ADV style boot. The Mixtos run a bit wider, but still worked well with thicker socks. I gave them a good test on the way from Montana to South Carolina with some 10 to 12 hour days, about 8 hours of rain (my feet were dry after the rain and thunderstorms, and the soles had good traction when I put my foot down at stops), and walking around some towns, pull offs and campsites.

I've now got over 3500 miles on them and I have to give a good thumbs up to these Italian made boots. They were also on sale for $200, about a $30 dollar savings. Between that and and the $50 saved on the Wolfman tankbag that I bought, I covered my Rally fee in discounts. Yeah, I'm cheap and I ride a BMW!

Wore a pair of Alpinestars Andes Drystar v2 coast to coast over six days in July on US 50. Hot, warm, cold, wet they were comfy all the way. Locally (MD-VA-WV) I have a pair of BMW Dry Sneakers that I love. In late Dec, early Jan, I have a couple of short ADV rides planned in Bolivia. One of them will be on the Salar de Uyuni during the rainy season for which I’m shopping a pair of boots (TCX Baja Mids?) that would be saltwater resistant. Not sure I want to take either of my current pairs into that environment. I was there a couple of years ago in January and wore a pair of Vasque Gore-Tex hiking boots that cleaned up well, but I wasn’t really splashing around like I would be on a bike.

Back