Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Going Over 6,000 Service OK?

For what ever it is worth, I sent in a oil sample on my Harley with 7,500 miles on the oil. Blackstone told me to run it 2,000 more and send in another sample. I had changed it at 7,500 miles any way.

IMO, factory oil change intervals are very conservative, after all they need to cover the warranty for the first 2-3 years. On my work pickup, a 2019 F150 I would change when the truck's computer told me to, anywhere from 7,500 to 10,000 miles. Never sent in a sample, but the guys at the shop I brought it to said the oil looked really good yet, clear and not very dirty.

My previous job I ran synthetic on a 2006 GMC van with the little 4.7(?) V8. I just changed once a year, usually around 12,000 to 14,000 miles. When I left that company the engine ran quietly and I did not add oil between changes with 145,000 miles on the truck.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by airic_81 View Post
    Bought it new in 2020. I had the 600 mile service done which included an oil change but nothing since. It has 4,500 miles now. I ran into a guy with a BMW recently who encouraged me to join this club and here I am! He said to change the oil every 3,000 miles.

From what research I've done, most people say to just go with the manual suggestion and wait until the 6,000 mile service and not mess with changing the oil earlier than that.
    IMO the only reason to keep with the 6,000 mile (or 10,000 km = 6,213 miles if you prefer) is to keep the warranty in force. 10% over won't (shouldn't!) void your warranty, plenty of people including me have missed it by more than that. Once you're out of warranty, you don't have to stick to that if you don't want.

I send out oil for analysis every oil change, bottom line is that the way I ride (usually ride for at least 30 continuous minutes before shutting it down, then I have to ride home!) 6K is no issue. Before I traded my 2016 wethead with 150K, I was changing the oil at 12K (and did a 12K service) and the analysis indicated I could go further than that, to 14K. I just skipped the 6K service altogether. FWIW, I use full synth oil, mostly BMW oil from the dealer but I've used the Liqui-Moly from Beemer Boneyard too. My 2020 wethead will probably be out of warranty on miles by Labor Day, so I'll start lengthening intervals then.

Oil is good for way more than 3,000 (or 3,500) miles, changing it that often is just spending money you don't have to. In the bad old days maybe that was necessary but even then it was probably more about generating revenue for the shop than protecting the engine.
    2020 R1250 GSA Low

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    Oil is good for way more than 3,000 (or 3,500) miles, changing it that often is just spending money you don't have to.
    ...to say nothing about the spectacular waste of a precious non-renewable resource.

The oil change interval on my Toyota Prius Prime is 10K miles. They do call for full synthetic oil.

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)

Quote Originally Posted by wbrownell9 View Post
    IMO the only reason to keep with the 6,000 mile (or 10,000 km = 6,213 miles if you prefer) is to keep the warranty in force. 10% over won't (shouldn't!) void your warranty, plenty of people including me have missed it by more than that. Once you're out of warranty, you don't have to stick to that if you don't want.

I send out oil for analysis every oil change, bottom line is that the way I ride (usually ride for at least 30 continuous minutes before shutting it down, then I have to ride home!) 6K is no issue. Before I traded my 2016 wethead with 150K, I was changing the oil at 12K (and did a 12K service) and the analysis indicated I could go further than that, to 14K. I just skipped the 6K service altogether. FWIW, I use full synth oil, mostly BMW oil from the dealer but I've used the Liqui-Moly from Beemer Boneyard too. My 2020 wethead will probably be out of warranty on miles by Labor Day, so I'll start lengthening intervals then.

Oil is good for way more than 3,000 (or 3,500) miles, changing it that often is just spending money you don't have to. In the bad old days maybe that was necessary but even then it was probably more about generating revenue for the shop than protecting the engine.
    Thanks!

A customer brought a bike in for service today. 18,001 miles. I checked his records and be brought it in for the previous service at 12,002 miles. I told him he needed to work on that.
    Anton Largiader 72724
    Tech articles - YouTube
    Virginia Motorrad Werkstatt BMW motorcycle service and repair in central Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    A customer brought a bike in for service today. 18,001 miles. I checked his records and be brought it in for the previous service at 12,002 miles. I told him he needed to work on that.

Thanks!
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
    Worriers anonymous?

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Did you tell him it is supposed to be in at 18,000, not 18,001?
    The nerve of some people!
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I'm doing my own 6 k service, as I already did the oil/filter early it's all check fluids, torques, loose items and a 911 check/reset. At 12k and the end of season she'll see the shop for more technical items beyond my skills.