• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'19 F750GS - major issues shifting from 1st into 2nd gear

steph66moore

Hello all --

I bought a new 2019 F750GS in August 2019. I finally joined the MOA and this forum because I've got a question about shifting and transmission issues I'm experiencing with this bike. I did try to search whether this had been asked before, but did not find anything pertinent to my question/issue.

Simply put: it's a real pain in the ass to get the bike to shift from first into second gear. Every time. Bike consistently wants to drop into a space that is not quite first, not quite neutral, and definitely not second gear. It also shows a blank gear indication on the FTF display (not even a N) until I can finally manage to get it up into second, which takes several attempts generally. Also, the transmission in general is incredibly clunky with every shift. There is NO smooth / quiet gear shifting on this bike, unlike my Strom and my Ninja.

I did ask the dealer about this when I had the first service done and was told "Yeah, that's just a thing with this bike." That's really not what a new owner who just dropped money on a new bike wants to hear. Made me think to myself, "Well hell, man, if I'd known that before I bought it, I would never have even considered a bike that in every way is a distant second to a second-hand, 2009 Suzuki V-Strom, or even a simple Ninja 650."

Bike came with the factory gearshift pro assist, which I hate and want removed, but I'm wondering if that's part of the problem. Any insights into this problem would be appreciated!

steph moore
New Mexico, USA

Welcome to the forum!
I think the first thing I would try is swapping bikes with someone that has no knowledge of your concern and see if they bring it up.
We have some members that are real good with the shift assist that may be able to help.
Good luck.
Gary

Welcome to the forum Steph! How many miles are on the 750?

This is what I would say if this wasn't coming with a quick shifter: "Are you preloading the shifter lever? Before pulling in the clutch, use your toes to give ~40% of the pressure needed to shift from one gear to the next. Typically this helps slide the gearing from one to the next."

Last edited:
This symptom has been know to be caused by a loose lever on the transmission shift shaft. I had the problem on both of our G310s. Before thinking of digging any deeper take a careful look to be sure that the lever is tight on the shift shaft at the transmission.

Really sorry to hear of the shifting issues. My 2021 is outstanding - far better shifting than my clunky R1200GS. I think your dealer gave a bogus response amd I would pursue it further. Maybe take a demo one out and see if it's the same.

Are you preloading the shifter lever? Before pulling in the clutch, use your toes to give ~40% of the pressure needed to shift from one gear to the next. Typically this helps slide the gearing from one to the next.

That doesn't work with the quickshifter as it will interpret the initial "preload" as an attempt to shift and may cut power inadvertantly. Anyway the F750 doesn't need preloading.

Hello all --

I bought a new 2019 F750GS in August 2019. I finally joined the MOA and this forum because I've got a question about shifting and transmission issues I'm experiencing with this bike. I did try to search whether this had been asked before, but did not find anything pertinent to my question/issue.

Simply put: it's a real pain in the ass to get the bike to shift from first into second gear. Every time. Bike consistently wants to drop into a space that is not quite first, not quite neutral, and definitely not second gear. It also shows a blank gear indication on the FTF display (not even a N) until I can finally manage to get it up into second, which takes several attempts generally. Also, the transmission in general is incredibly clunky with every shift. There is NO smooth / quiet gear shifting on this bike, unlike my Strom and my Ninja.

I did ask the dealer about this when I had the first service done and was told "Yeah, that's just a thing with this bike." That's really not what a new owner who just dropped money on a new bike wants to hear. Made me think to myself, "Well hell, man, if I'd known that before I bought it, I would never have even considered a bike that in every way is a distant second to a second-hand, 2009 Suzuki V-Strom, or even a simple Ninja 650."

Bike came with the factory gearshift pro assist, which I hate and want removed, but I'm wondering if that's part of the problem. Any insights into this problem would be appreciated!

steph moore
New Mexico, USA

Was this resolved?

I had the same issue with my cylinder F650 GS. It had something to with the rod in the transmission. It’s been too long ago as I can’t remember if it came loose or broken. I would lean more to what Paul Glaves had mentioned. Everyone was trying to tell me like what some has posted, I wasn’t shifting right and that wasn’t the problem.

I do hope by now it has been resolved.

I've just bought a new F750GS and it has a strange clutch problem when using the clutch to change gear especially down changes the clutch lever sticks and then releases some times with click also the clutch seems very heavy

Back