• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2002 R1150RS - Powering iPhone or GPS unit

butler

Hello, beautiful forum members.

New owner here of a glorious 2002 R 1150 RS, the bike I desperately wanted back when it was brand new. It’s currently waiting for me in Pasadena, where I will pick it up and ride it to the rally in Great Falls - my first rally. Looking forward to meeting new people.

I have my first newbie question: connecting my iPhone (or GPS if I get on) to power. Currently, there are 3000 miles between me and the bike, so I’m not able to tinker or ask questions in person at a shop. Simply - what’s the simplest way to power my device using the bike’s auxiliary power? If anyone would be able to tell me which specific plugs/adapters I need and/or provide any phone pic references, I would really appreciate the assist. The bike has a ram mount on the tank for actually cradling the phone; I’m just not sure what to do about plugging it in, safely securing the power cable out of the way, linking the power cable to a USB adapter, etc. The previous owner used a usb battery pack secured the the tank via Velcro. My preference would be to have consistent power and not have to worry about keeping a battery charged and secured.

Asking here since I assume Oilhead Zone is the likeliest place to find knowledge and tips specific to the RS.

Thank you!

I also flew to pick up my bike and took off for a 3 day trip from there

My 04 has the smaller cig plug hole and I used something similar.
I found it sticks out.

When I got home I discovered it had been wired for a battery tenders so I got the USB end for the battery tender.

IMG_1969.jpgIMG_1970.jpgIMG_1971.jpg

Thank you, Phil. This was super helpful. (Also, I need to turn on alerts for forum replies!)

Hardwired accessories

Having the same thought on my R850R. Would love to hardwire my cordless phone cradle, a USB port and heated grips or gloves. I think there are two extra used fuses in the fuse bank that might do the trick.

I have a dual USB jack with a handlebar mount, pretty sure I found it at Cyclegear.com. Something like this: https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/oxford-usb-dual-socket?sku_id=939412 I wired this and my Garmin mount to the battery with a fused connector, and I have a RAM mount for my iPhone so I can have it pugged in to the USB while I'm riding. I have flat GS bars on my bike, not sure if this would be easy to mount for you but I'm sure you could find something similar.

Back