Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The crazy real estate Pandemic housing at any cost thread

On the other hand- my son is buying a condominium apartment on the upper west side of NYC and the price, though crazy to sensible people, is lower than it might be at any other time!

I am in the building trades in the "Lakes Region " of NH. This craz started in late March of last year and hasn't stopped. Materials and labor are up over 230% over a year ago. I recently built a new home prior to the pandemic flight, and figured if I was going to build to day, it would cost another 150 thousand just for the same house. CDX plywood 5/8" thick is up over $50.00 a sheet, where I paid $21.00 a sheet 1 1/2 years ago, material quotes from my supplier are only good for 48 hrs. My friends in real estate tell me it's out of hand , list an offering price and watch it climb like Game Stop stock, every sale is being co brooked ,so if you think they are making money they aren't. It's beginning of May and the traffic is like July, AAAAHHH. They all came to change their life style ,but brought it with them, and think we should change. I say hold on to your hat, because when these people feel safe to move back from where they came, the crash comes whaaahoo. I told my banker get ready for the voluntary foreclosures, just like the crash in 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by crows View Post
    I am in the building trades in the "Lakes Region " of NH. This craz started in late March of last year and hasn't stopped. Materials and labor are up over 230% over a year ago. I recently built a new home prior to the pandemic flight, and figured if I was going to build to day, it would cost another 150 thousand just for the same house. CDX plywood 5/8" thick is up over $50.00 a sheet, where I paid $21.00 a sheet 1 1/2 years ago, material quotes from my supplier are only good for 48 hrs. My friends in real estate tell me it's out of hand , list an offering price and watch it climb like Game Stop stock, every sale is being co brooked ,so if you think they are making money they aren't. It's beginning of May and the traffic is like July, AAAAHHH. They all came to change their life style ,but brought it with them, and think we should change. I say hold on to your hat, because when these people feel safe to move back from where they came, the crash comes whaaahoo. I told my banker get ready for the voluntary foreclosures, just like the crash in 1994.
    You and I should go for a ride & Lunch. we're in a similar industry but I'm over in Sunapee. Very similar situation here. I have a lot of folks born and raised here picking up and moving to Florida early because their homes are worth a lot more than they ever expected.