Thread: Bridgestone BT 45

Nick Kennedy

Bridgestone BT 45

1990 K75RT
    I put on the above tire last year and changed it out today for a Michelin Pilot Activ
    The Bridgestone only went 3750 miles until it was worn smooth.
    Not very far for a name brand tire. But it was inexpensive.
    Nick

YIKES! I put 3,300 miles last season on a brand new set of Lasertecs and they are worn half way as measured on the centre tread. The next set with be another pair of Lasertecs or the Pilot Activ. My riding is all one-up and virtually all highway. I don’t commute or ride around in the city. I also check and adjust tire pressure before every ride without fail.

I should also note that the difference in price here between the 2 tires is literally only a few dollars. It would cost me $23 more for a pair of Pilot Activs over the Lasertecs. On price point alone it is not an issue but I have no idea when it comes to wear and, therefore, which tire ultimately is the better buy in the long run.

I also failed to mention that I have a 1985 K100RS.
    Last edited by mcmlcccvrs; 05-23-2021 at 08:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mcmlcccvrs View Post
    YIKES! I put 3,300 miles last season on a brand new set of Lasertecs and they are worn half way as measured on the centre tread. The next set with be another pair of Lasertecs or the Pilot Activ. My riding is all one-up and virtually all highway. I donít commute or ride around in the city. I also check and adjust tire pressure before every ride without fail.
    I have about 1000 miles on my Lasertecs and like them so far, what do you run for pressure? I have been down around recommended per the manual. 33 and 36 in back. Wondering if I should bump them up some more.
    2015 R1200RT, 1993 K75s

Quote Originally Posted by veefore View Post
    I have about 1000 miles on my Lasertecs and like them so far, what do you run for pressure? I have been down around recommended per the manual. 33 and 36 in back. Wondering if I should bump them up some more.
    As per page 63 in my owners manual for one-up riding:

Front:32 PSI.
    Rear: 35.5 PSI.

I also constantly lose air in the rear tire. I can lose 2 PSI overnight or 5 PSI over the course of a week or........ It's all over the place. It's not as bad in the front or at all. I went for a ride yesterday, Saturday, and I had previously checked/adjusted the air pressures on Friday. Before riding on Saturday, the rear had dropped 2 PSI and the front was perfectly fine. Stock tire sizes BTW.

Front:32 PSI.
    Rear: 35.5 PSI.

I also constantly lose air in the rear tire. I can lose 2 PSI overnight or 5 PSI over the course of a week or........ It's all over the place. It's not as bad in the front or at all. I went for a ride yesterday, Saturday, and I had previously checked/adjusted the air pressures on Friday. Before riding on Saturday, the rear had dropped 2 PSI and the front was perfectly fine. Stock tire sizes BTW.
    Thank you, that’s good to hear. The bike feels really good set at those pressures but I didn’t know if it would be to the detriment of tire life. To my mind your mileage is decent on those tires.
    Getting ready for a trip, probably about 1200 miles and I’m thinking I might go to the two up settings from the manual given the weight of luggage.
    I haven’t had any issue with losing air on mine, as you said I’m diligent about checking my pressures each time I go out.
    Last edited by veefore; 05-23-2021 at 07:56 PM.
    2015 R1200RT, 1993 K75s

RK Ryder
    I am having my second set of Michelin Pilot Activ installed on my K100RT this week. The current set lasted 13,600 miles, with tread left on the front but not so much on the rear. Lots of tread left on the sides as with COVID, as unfortunately my riding in confined southern Ontario is mostly flat roads with the occasional curve. I run 40 psi, front and rear. The current tires have no cupping. YRMV
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333

A couple PSI per day (assuming you're taking each temperature while the tire is cold) would lead me to believe that there's a problem with the tire. You may have picked up a small piece of metal or possibly a slow leak around the valve stem or maybe the valve core? A spray of soapy water will generally tell you if you have a leak.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by drneo66 View Post
    A couple PSI per day (assuming you're taking each temperature while the tire is cold) would lead me to believe that there's a problem with the tire. You may have picked up a small piece of metal or possibly a slow leak around the valve stem or maybe the valve core? A spray of soapy water will generally tell you if you have a leak.
    Also, a slight leak at the bead is possible. I once had this issue and wound up dismounting the tire and cleaning all of the rubber stuck to the wheel bead. I should have done this when I mounted the tire. Now every tire the wheel gets wire brushed.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Also, a slight leak at the bead is possible. I once had this issue and wound up dismounting the tire and cleaning all of the rubber stuck to the wheel bead. I should have done this when I mounted the tire. Now every tire the wheel gets wire brushed.

I'm pretty sure that this is the issue as they have been like this from day 1. Dismounting them will cost because I can't do it myself. I'll wait for the next tire change and tell the shop about the issue and to make sure they clean the wheels properly.

I'm pretty sure that this is the issue as they have been like this from day 1. Dismounting them will cost because I can't do it myself. I'll wait for the next tire change and tell the shop about the issue and to make sure they clean the wheels properly.
    Bummer, however, they may remount it for you? The valve core would be a cheap thing to try...
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

RK Ryder
    Once in the past when I had a tire lose air through the poorly seated valve, the shop switched out the old valve with new for no charge.

It can't hurt to explain your situation to them and you may be pleasantly surprised as to how reasonable the shop might be. You won't know unless you ask.
    Paul F. Ruffell
    Retired and riding my RTs, the '87 K100 & the '98 R1100 !
    Knights of the Roundel #333