Thread: some faults

jimmy armour

some faults

hi guys hope all are well and getting your shots bursting to start going to rallies again , well riding my old 2000 r1100rt the other day now owned by my son i noted the idle was lower 1200 also more surging than i remember some one told me to disconnect the exaust sensor is that a good thing ? also today the windscreen wouldnt come down repeatedly pressing the switch seemed to work but again next time up same fault going up no problem as always thank you in advance Jimmy

Start at the basics. Pull all the fuses, look at them and replace ones that look corroded. Pull relays, look for corrosion and re-install. Next, battery connections, make sure they are clean and after that check all the grounds for corrosion.

Might not be the issue at all but if you don't do it, any suggestions after this may have you chasing ghosts.

Chasing ghosts has never ended well for me.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by jimwjarmour View Post
    hi guys hope all are well and getting your shots bursting to start going to rallies again , well riding my old 2000 r1100rt the other day now owned by my son i noted the idle was lower 1200 also more surging than i remember some one told me to disconnect the exaust sensor is that a good thing ? also today the windscreen wouldnt come down repeatedly pressing the switch seemed to work but again next time up same fault going up no problem as always thank you in advance Jimmy
    When was the last time it had the valves adjusted? Had the BBS's cleaned? Had the injection synched? Changed the plugs? And it sounds like that windscreen switch needs a good cleaning or replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    When was the last time it had the valves adjusted? Had the BBS's cleaned? Had the injection synched? Changed the plugs? And it sounds like that windscreen switch needs a good cleaning or replacement.
    The most frequent cure for Oilhead surging is a meticulous tune-up. Careful valve adjustment and throttle body synchronization are crucial. New plugs help too if the ones in the bike have a lot of miles.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

jimmy armour

some faults

thanks guys , i rebuilt this bike gearbox clutch etc valves adjusted t/bodies also bbs all cleaned and everything set at that time perhaps 6000 km ago i thought the idle was 1500 now is 1200 also what about the exaust sensor was told to disconect, would that have any effect?, my son has just bought a 2005 r1200 gs and r1100 not being used as much so will remove all the tuperware and tune her up thanks once again Jimmy

If you mean the Oxygen (O2) sensor in the pipe - yes removing that would probably have a detrimental effect, since that would delete one of the inputs that the computer uses to adjust the fuel mixture (the injectors' timing & open duration).

On the other hand, they do occasionally fail (more often in cars)... Instead of removing it, locate where it plugs into the main harness and just unplug it... If it runs better, from cold startup to normal temp mid-range, THEN maybe consider replacing it. Or just search through these Oilhead threads to find the "how to test" entries.

Since it's been over 6,000 kilometers since the last valve adjust & throttle body sync, I would not be at all surprised if the throttle cables have stretched a little, requiring a re-balance job.
    1200 rpm is a bit on the high side for the idle of a properly-running Oilhead; 1000 to 1100 after a complete warm-up (ride) is more normal. As Paul Glaves recommends, be meticulous, it will pay off. Also, I strongly prefer NGK plugs to Bosch (although some on this forum disagree with me, that's fine).

Note that the windshield setup has two separate relays - one for raising, one for lowering. The handlebar switch just routes power to the selected one.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    Also, I strongly prefer NGK plugs to Bosch (although some on this forum disagree with me, that's fine).
    I disagree!

Just kidding. Go with whatever works!

jimmy armour

many thanks

many thanks guys , busy at the moment clearing away winter from the garden as we are hosting a bbq for our 50th anniversary so once again thanks we all have our shots ,keep safe ,will advise what i find bye for now Jimmy

Quote Originally Posted by jimwjarmour View Post
    it may come to this on the windscreen. I've got a brick with an inoperative screen which I haven'i got too yet.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=st0Kr48FWYA&t=415s