Thread: Parking at Rally

Parking at Rally

I'm debating attending the rally, but I will be bringing my bike in my Sprinter van. Will I need to get an RV spot, or will there be a place to park the van? Thanks, Jim

Quote Originally Posted by GSJimE View Post
    I'm debating attending the rally, but I will be bringing my bike in my Sprinter van. Will I need to get an RV spot, or will there be a place to park the van? Thanks, Jim
    If you're only hauling the bike in the van and not camping in it there's usually a designated area for non motorcycle parking.
    You can't park the Sprinter in the tent camping area.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Hangered... but aimed out flyhi2cfar's Avatar
    The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    An excellent and accurate reply Lee.
    The tent camping area is FOR THE motorcycles and tents.
    The bikes are also allowed to pull a trailer and utilize that same camping area.
    So you will see fold out M/C tent campers and the cargo trailers that are sometimes pulled.

GS Jim would have the option of a tent and his bike nearby it, just as if he had ridden in. But the Sprinter van will need parked in the parking lot.
    And that may not be "real close-by"... depending on the rally venue, or where a person may want to put their tent.

We are a few years into an developing issue that I and others have noticed.

It's the proliferation of the "overland type" vehicles, the cargo/camper vans and the roof-top tents, ect... that don't want the RV fee or maybe the location of the RV area.
    Some of these neat set-up's pull trailers with M/C (s), some have the rear hitch (lift or ramp) capability.
    They uniformly want the same things a rider with a tent wants... that nice grass and the shade trees. The camping area.
    Can't happen; reason enough is our tradition alone (IMO)... but the real concern is SAFETY.
    There's multiple issues.
    Ingress/egress comes to mind, find your van blocked by a dozen tents and you want out (or back in at night)... picture how this can go wrong.
    And if you park the 4 wheeler (or more) along the camping area perimeter or roadway edge... creating blind spots for riders passing by.
    You are likely to have "pet issues" (have your bad example come to mind), many folks travel in these rigs so that they can bring the______ (s)
    Next thing you see is the gas fire pit/ring ablaze; nothing can go wrong there.
    What's that I hear... a generator running an A/C?
    Guess so, there's the gas can sitting beside it.

It's easy to see we need vehicles like this within the RV Park available, or the parking lot and spaced as needed for their operation.
    Cycles and tents in the designated camping areas.

This approach, best allows enjoyment and camaraderie for everyone... all while allowing a margin of safety.
    "travel'n" John... on a 2015 R1200GS / MOA# 102452
    "Keep you a steady eye ahead, with a firm grip on the throttle, be ready with the brakes... for every mile of road, there are two miles of the ditch"
    (words of wisdom credited to fellow MOA rider Bill T.)

Cool Leesure lite trailer

My wife will be pulling a Leesure Lite trailer to the rally and I will be arriving on my bike. If we get there early will we be able to set up the Leesure lite in the tent area an then take the car to the parking area. Or will we have to set up in the RV area.

The Cincinnati Ohio riverfront (Ky side) & the Cape/Space Coast of Flordia.... when not out -- "travel'n"
    According to the Rally Q & A section, YES.

It indicates you may drive to the selected camping area and set up...
    with information that you may be required to move the car into suitable parking, depending on specific site conditions.

It's been my experience, that Charter Club camping and the Sherpa location, "sometimes" offers better parked vehicle accessibility than
    the general tent and motorcycle grounds. Reason being is that some clubs (the Airheads especially) rent the large commercial tent's
    that offer a social gathering opportunity. Those come in by truck ahead of the game, and those trucks use roads within the venue.
    Plus the Club's need access for supply delivery... even furniture.
    By placing these "selected camping areas" in a location handy for access, you also hope for nearby parking.

Careful where you put the Leesure Lite in the tent & motorcycle area.
    You could get boxed-in (no access by car to hook-it back up) until Sunday about 9am.

See you there!
    Last edited by flyhi2cfar; 05-23-2021 at 02:44 AM.
    "Keep you a steady eye ahead, with a firm grip on the throttle, be ready with the brakes... for every mile of road, there are two miles of the ditch"

Thanks guys for the responses. I may end up stopping at a freinds in Bozeman, and riding the bike in.

Thanks for the information. Getting blocked in won't be a problem as we will not be leaving till Sunday morning.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 44135 View Post
    Thanks for the information. Getting blocked in won't be a problem as we will not be leaving till Sunday morning.
    I recall a predicament at the Gillette gig that had me collared.
    Wednesday set up; Thursday mid-afternoon returning from seminars... bike totally blocked in!

Had to pull a few guy wires AND tent corner stakes just to move the bike out to street side parking...
    that was determined to be a requirement for remainder of the Rally.