• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

A Turkey riding a GS

We all ride around turkeys,feathered and otherwise , just happens. Having watched video ,mistakes on both sides. The inexperienced rider trying to do his /her best to move along, and a group not being organized on the road. In both passes I did not see one hand signal or hear a voice communication, or turn signal for a pass. Just a lot of right hand twist, with both leader and follower riding out of sight of their companion group. If either of you had remained in front of that rider you could have controlled him so the rest of the group could have passed him safely, at the next opportunity. You not only put the other rider at risk, but aggravated the situation for your fellow riders. Poor ride planning, and communication leads to bad situations on the road that can be easily controlled. I also hope this rider was not a forum member, and had to read comments and watch the video.

On another note, maybe it is time for us as members to talk about group riding with the International BMWMOA rally coming up and all get on the same page. Hopefully some BMW Riding Academy or MSF people may give some free insight to all of us, to help those riding at the event stay safe.

Indycar,

Just wondering, how far back did you have to go to get your right glove after you took off with it on your tankbag after the stall? :stick

:dance:dance:dance

Good question. There's velcro on the top of my tank bag, so it goes nowhere. Once i was fast enough to set the cruise on that uphill straight, I set the cruse and put on the glove. I liked that option better then putting it back on while sitting where there was no shoulder. It was not an ideal place to take a photo, but I felt there was sufficient sighted distance downhill for me to get going without impeding others if something started the climb behind me.

We all ride around turkeys,feathered and otherwise , just happens. Having watched video ,mistakes on both sides. The inexperienced rider trying to do his /her best to move along, and a group not being organized on the road. In both passes I did not see one hand signal or hear a voice communication, or turn signal for a pass. Just a lot of right hand twist, with both leader and follower riding out of sight of their companion group. If either of you had remained in front of that rider you could have controlled him so the rest of the group could have passed him safely, at the next opportunity. You not only put the other rider at risk, but aggravated the situation for your fellow riders. Poor ride planning, and communication leads to bad situations on the road that can be easily controlled. I also hope this rider was not a forum member, and had to read comments and watch the video.

On another note, maybe it is time for us as members to talk about group riding with the International BMWMOA rally coming up and all get on the same page. Hopefully some BMW Riding Academy or MSF people may give some free insight to all of us, to help those riding at the event stay safe.

In this case, we were all riding a route we had on our respective GPS units, with a set of agreed upon 'What if's'. The leader and I generally ride at a quicker pace compared to our buddies behind, and we often will gap them, sometimes significantly. This is understood and they would not want us to ride their ride instead of our own, and that works both ways. We have ridden thousands of miles together. We know our small group and we have our set of protocols. As a rule, we do hold up at the next intersection. We were on com's and the rider in question was the subject for the three of us behind.

When I see riders closing the gap behind me, I let them pass. Everybody is happy. The other riders get to enjoy their spirited ride and I continue to enjoy my pace.

There is also another issue with dips in the roadway. It is possible to see a straight stretch ahead and not recognize that there is a dip in the road that can hide an oncoming car.

Yeah, I won't pass if I can't see the entire roadway ahead of me. I also need to be comfortable I can make the pass quickly and with a very limited amount of exposure in the left lane.

Voni and I live in the Texas Big Bend, south of Alpine and north of Study Butte / Terlingua, adjacent to TX 118. FM 170 from Lajitas to Presidio is known as the River Road and is touted as one of the best motorcycle roads in Texas. And it is. Some of you have probably ridden this road. Riders come from far and wide to visit the Big Bend and ride the River Road. Sometimes they are in packs of several cruisers, tassles flying and chaps flapping. Often they are not particularly quick on the hilly curvy road. Sometimes we come up on small street-legal dirt bikes with limited speeds possible.

Voni and I ride the road frequently and often come up behind a group or one or two riders. It is an extremely rare happening if anybody waves us by or visibly pulls right to expedite a pass. And in my view if they do it is nice but not obligatory. The lane is theirs. When I am sure I can pass safely in the other lane I will do so. It is on me; not them.

On the other hand when bikes come quickly up behind us I usually ride in the right wheel track, put on my right turn signal, and wave the riders around. I do not wish to have a rider of unknown skill level on my tail. That is what I find works. Others might disagree.

Last edited:
The other day I got stuck behind a slow farm truck, straight road with rolling hills. I was watching the road and when I was certain it was clear I passed him. Only when I was passing I realized it was a double yellow. I have no clue why, there wasn't any intersections and I could see far enough down the road that I was comfortable passing and wasn't in a great hurry to get past. The only thing I can figure is the painting crew got carried away!

The other day I got stuck behind a slow farm truck, straight road with rolling hills. I was watching the road and when I was certain it was clear I passed him. Only when I was passing I realized it was a double yellow. I have no clue why, there wasn't any intersections and I could see far enough down the road that I was comfortable passing and wasn't in a great hurry to get past. The only thing I can figure is the painting crew got carried away!

Here in the west I am seeing mountain roads I’ve ridden for the past 30+ years acquiring more and more non-stop double yellow zones, where there used to be stretches of DY with short to medium passing zones interspersed. Certainly there are legitimate reasons for some of the changes; the increase in towed campers and other vehicles that can’t or shouldn’t try to utilize shorter zones, accident statistics on specific stretches, increased traffic loads, and so on. But one can’t help but wonder if there’s a $$ reason for it, like states getting a funding boost based upon the amount of yellow paint they are laying down. Whatever the reason for the increased DY zoning, it’s net effect upon motorcyclists appears to be an increase in DY passing. As long as it’s done safely I don’t take issue with it. :dunno

Best,
DeVern

Here in the west I am seeing mountain roads I’ve ridden for the past 30+ years acquiring more and more non-stop double yellow zones, where there used to be stretches of DY with short to medium passing zones interspersed. Certainly there are legitimate reasons for some of the changes; the increase in towed campers and other vehicles that can’t or shouldn’t try to utilize shorter zones, accident statistics on specific stretches, increased traffic loads, and so on. But one can’t help but wonder if there’s a $$ reason for it, like states getting a funding boost based upon the amount of yellow paint they are laying down. Whatever the reason for the increased DY zoning, it’s net effect upon motorcyclists appears to be an increase in DY passing. As long as it’s done safely I don’t take issue with it. :dunno

Best,
DeVern

Used to be that the last 2+ miles to our turnoff was mostly a passing zone on the 70MPH two lane road that runs down our valley. Then one day it was nearly all double yellow. So now we are expected to follow the nice little 90 year old lady from Lincoln as she drives 35-45 MPH down the highway. If I am on a bike and I can see 1/2 mile down the road I will pass the nice lady even in a no passing zone. It is illegal but certainly not unsafe. I suspect some minor functionary got a promotion by “substantially increasing public safety by decreasing high speed maneuvers on state highways.” What a hero.

While we are straying off the original topic, GTRider and akbeemer bring up an interesting point about the proliferation of double yellow zones. DY has been added to a nearby residential road. I never saw anyone passing on the road, but someone at headquarters decided it was necessary. Adding the lines seems to have authenticated the road as more major road than it is. It is as if the double yellow gives the impression the road is a "major" road (at least in the minds of most of those who drive it) and speeds on the road have increased since the striping has been introduced.

On those lines they did a bunch of paving near me and reengineered one bad turn in the middle. After improving the road they lowered the speed limit from 80 kmh to 70 kmh. I don't get it!

Gents
Keep in mind in some states, like Colorado, passing on a double yellow is going to get you a hefty fine and a bunch of points.
I watched the original vid.
This is just me but when something like that happens too me I tend to just pull over and stop for a couple of minutes.
Getting all fired up on the road, for any reason, is a no win deal if you ask me.
When we were kids growing up in wild and wooly Venice Beach Ca in the 70's my dad gave us kids some great advice:
"Never get into it with someone you don't know"
You don't know if their crazy, trained in martial arts or are packing.
Nick

Gents
Keep in mind in some states, like Colorado, passing on a double yellow is going to get you a hefty fine and a bunch of points.
I watched the original vid.
This is just me but when something like that happens too me I tend to just pull over and stop for a couple of minutes.
Getting all fired up on the road, for any reason, is a no win deal if you ask me.
When we were kids growing up in wild and wooly Venice Beach Ca in the 70's my dad gave us kids some great advice:
"Never get into it with someone you don't know"
You don't know if their crazy, trained in martial arts or are packing.
Nick

Likewise, I've pull over for awhile when blocked by someone ahead isn't riding at my pace. (Of course that doesn't happen often as it is usually me that pulls over for the really fast riders to pass me. :D)

Pretty good advice that your dad gave you. Things that I've been practising all of my life. :thumb

A lot of similar thoughts here. Yes, situational awareness by the slower rider, lose the road police mindset... from all riders perspectives, and assess road conditions before a DY Pass will make a better experience for all.
Just back from a three week 6500 mile Western State romp, can count on one hand where I made decision to go around slower traffic, including two wheelers and I ride a fairly brisk pace. I stopped at a few scenic vistas or signage when I thought I was raising my blood pressure and calling folks out ( road police) inside my helmet. Rolled off the throttle when I was the last vehicle many times to let the slower folks make a few corners before getting back to my pace. Rinse and repeat if necessary. Made my ride just a bit calmer.

I waved a faster HD by me in Hells Canyon as the tar snakes were kicking my tail on that twisty
afternoon run, worst I have EVER encountered losing front wheel when I least needed to. Totally expected to find him horizontal but he seemed to not be having same issues or way braver than I. A local no doubt and will have stories to tell about some idiot on a GSA.

Yes, did a few hard passes and once that dip caught me, though I looked several times :banghead
That was all on me and I apologize to the sedan I freaked out though it wasn’t as close as they thought it was. :whistle

The Johnson City MOA rally timeline had a thread or two on many riders going very slow on the local twisties, then challenging anyone who dared pass. H had two encounters where she had paraded
along long enough , several Wingers had moved over and waved us by on several occasions... the fellow Beemer’s did not. When she overtook two , they immediately went into attack mode seeing it was a female and got close enough to autograph her sidecases. We were communicating and told her to ride her ride, they would get back to their slower pace and unless she wanted to wave the boneheads around, look forward. She lost them about three turns later and I caught up giving a Palm up shoulder shrug and an ADV salute as I passed as well. Testosterone is a dangerous and boneheaded chemical... let it go.

The DY answer to everything is a headscratcher, several roads we enjoy have been converted into parade routes for miles. Easiest fix I suppose. If you can pass a bicycle over the DY, surely we are smart enough to do the same on other under the limit vehicles. I’ll do it and deal with low percentage of LEO being present.

The DY answer to everything is a headscratcher, several roads we enjoy have been converted into parade routes for miles. Easiest fix I suppose. If you can pass a bicycle over the DY, surely we are smart enough to do the same on other under the limit vehicles. I’ll do it and deal with low percentage of LEO being present.

"Your Honor, that was not a pass. I was going around an obstruction in the roadway." :)

"Your Honor, that was not a pass. I was going around an obstruction in the roadway." :)

TX law says only exception is to turn left... guess if the semi is broken down , one MUST not use common sense to go over the forbidden DY and just wait until road is clear :banghead

Yup, traffic has no choice other than to just pile up behind the stalled truck, even if it sits there for a day!:rofl

Gents

Nick

Same thing with going over the speed limit.
Don't tell anyone but sometimes we go over the speed limit :)

Back