• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

A Turkey riding a GS

I tell people it is just a recommendation. If you want to run faster than the recommended speed a friendly law enforcement officer will stop you and collet a fee for running over the recommended speed. People confuse it with a fine. It is just a fee, like a service charge!

If it's a white rectangular sign with black lettering and includes the words "Speed Limit" followed by a number ...
that is NOT a "recommendation".

I tell people it is just a recommendation. If you want to run faster than the recommended speed a friendly law enforcement officer will stop you and collet a fee for running over the recommended speed. People confuse it with a fine. It is just a fee, like a service charge!

You forgot the part where your insurance fee doubles..... :ha

If you want to run faster than the recommended speed a friendly law enforcement officer will stop you and collet a fee for running over the recommended speed. People confuse it with a fine. It is just a fee, like a service charge!

In the early years I would get at least one thicket a year. I used to joke with friends I wished the state would let me decide at the first of the year how fast I wanted to ride, then pay a fee for that speed :)
I figured it would be simpler :)
At least back then speeding tickets did not cost much.

You forgot the part where your insurance fee doubles..... :ha

Lucky for us neither one of us ever saw a insurance increase after a ticket.
It's been a long time since one of us got a ticket so it may be different now.

I have a strong aversion to speeding tickets. Thankfully it has been quite a few years since I've had one.

Back in the day, I was definitely a "speeder" (it didn't help that I worked for an automotive manufacturer, so I was always driving the latest, most powerful car on the road). I had the full radar detecter set up, CB radio and since I travelled for my job, was on the road about 50K miles a year. One day, it dawned on me that by speeding to my next contact, I was really only saving maybe 10 minutes vs. if I just drove the speed limit. I was exposing myself to speeding tickets on a daily basis and for what...to save a few minutes. On that day and every day since, I decided speeding really wasn't worth the risk to me.

If I'm working I will not speed. My drivers license is not going to be a risk for someone else's profit margin. Around here the speed limits go up and down all over the place from 50-60-70-80 kmh. I'm glued to the speedo all the time. I have passed plenty of cops and I've been laid back on the bike too around here and have been fine passing all the police.

This guy...

Coming back from the Hamburg rally, this very enthusiastic GS rider rode past Rhonda and I swerving madly betwixt lanes and through cars, speeding excessively. I took his picture because I had never seen a BMW rider without a helmet; wanted to record the historical occasion. (He was riding it, like he stole it.)

62CD51E2-CE31-4BF8-B41C-77E65DDCB8DF.jpg

One day, it dawned on me that by speeding to my next contact, I was really only saving maybe 10 minutes vs. if I just drove the speed limit. I was exposing myself to speeding tickets on a daily basis and for what...to save a few minutes. On that day and every day since, I decided speeding really wasn't worth the risk to me.

The same thing happened to me when GPS started displaying a “time of arrival” on my route.... riding too fast had little effect on eta. The risk wasn’t worth the reward.

However, that still left the double yellow in the mountains thing.... :evil

I would have passed him, double-line or not, a road that fine barely taking the corners at 30 mph, he should have got out of the way, or he's in my mirrors in a flash.

Back