• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gas Mileage

Depends on how you ride it.
I have an 02 1150RT and my last fill up was 43 mpg.
I have also not been doing the speed limit, wink wink.
In the past I have gotten as high as 50 on trips, though I haven't seen it lately.
Mostly low to mid 40s.

My '98 R1100RT usually gets in the low 40s to the American gallon. However this improves substantially when I slow my acceleration from a stop. :)

My 2000 R1100 RS has been getting a consistent 45-46 mpg since I’ve owned it. Just turned 90k miles.

Not an oilhead but now I have proof of how "aerodynamic" a GSA is. Cruise controlled at the 55 mph speed limit on Natchez Trace Parkway and similar basically straight level roads, still air: 52 mpg. Cruise controlled at the 55 mph speed limit on LA 82, also straight & level, with a 20+ mph tailwind: 60 mpg!!!!! To be fair, both are highly anomalous, my overall average (24,000 miles) is 45 mpg. 2020 R1250 GSA.

I put 189,000 miles on my R1150R. It normally got 42 mpg and didn't vary much at all. It would drop a little when it needed a tune up.

But it was very fussy about fuel quality. Several times I had concluded it needed a tune up but discovered it got back to normal at the next fuel fill.

Can you elaborate on this?

Octane? Brand?

What made the quality of the fuel "better."

Thanks,

SPP

The simple answer is that I don't know. I never figured it out. 89 or 93 AKI didn't seem to matter. Brand didn't seem to matter. But every so often - maybe one out of 10 refills it would just run a little rough. And fuel mileage might drop 10% or 20%. Imitating a dirty injector or even the need for new plugs but then on the next tank of gas it had given itself a tune up. After a while I learned that when it did this the thing to do was refill when it still had a half tank left. This often made the issue go away.

As added info this was an early 2003 R1150R with the single spark engine.

I consistently get 45 mpg doing 80mph on my 1100rt. I commute from Indianapolis to Cincinnati every day. It's extremely flat land though.

So...to answer your question, looks like your gas milage is pretty average. My '04 RT gets high 30's, city riding. Mid 40's highway riding.

Mileage

I have a 94 R1100RS around 200 miles the low fuel light comes on the gas gauge is down to 1 or no bars so I stop for gas and it takes 4 gallons leaving me a 2 gallon reserve in the tank.
Short story I usually get 45 to 50 mpg on 2 lane local roads. On a interstate drone when traffic is moving at 85 to 90 mph and I am moving with traffic it gets down in lower 40 mpg range. As mentioned before high acceleration drags the average the most, however on my bike with my riding style I find it hard to get average below 40 mph

Back