• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

F850GSA - Changing the final drive ratio

Living in SW Idaho, I have the opportunity to ride a lot of gravel and dirt roads. When my bike is loaded for camping or doing trips on forest service or BLM roads at times I felt that my lower end didn't have the torque that I would like. Reading posts in the 850GS form which is international, I found a couple of different threads that dealt with changing the sprocket ratios. The default on my GSA was 17 front 44 rear for a value of 2.58823. By switching my front sprocket to 16 tooth the ratio changed to 2.75. Not a big change, but noticeable when trying to start on a slope or wanting to go extra slow in slippery conditions. The 850GS thread also mentioned a source for sprockets and chains for all euro bikes that had very good prices and shipped all over the world including the USA. CARPIMOTO has a wide selection of high grade drive components that are available for prices about 50% of my local dealer, so I ordered a new 16 tooth front and 44 tooth rear that fit my bike perfectly. The change is noted mostly in the lower three gears where I have more torque at lower RPM, or lower speed at the same RPM. In the high end of the gearing, 5 & 6 there is about a 300 RPM different running at 70 mph.

I am very pleased with the results and would not switch back for the type of riding I do. If I was making a long road trip on street tires, I then would consider putting the 17 tooth sprocket back on, but as soon as I got back and switched to my 50/50 tires, I would also switch back to my 16 tooth sprocket.:thumb

Gear indicator

That side effect didn't manifest itself on my bike. That would be a good reason to not make a sprocket change.

I had heard of that issue with the later 800 models too. Good to hear it is not affecting the 850. One of the benefits of a chain drive is the ability to change ratios. I have not felt the need to do so yet on my GSA, but may in the future.

I've been running a 15t for years on my 2015 gs800. Certainly not optimal for interstate stints, but 90% of the time I'm in town or on gravel which works great.

Back