• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Trans American Trail experiences and future prospects

miseenscene

Good day,

Having been nudged into semi-retirement by the Pandemic, I am looking at some long touring trips before age precludes such adventures.
I would like inquire about experiences on the Trans America Trail and perhaps consider organizing a trip with fellow riders for part or all of the route. I am in TN. so it would be East to West.

Thank you all.

Be well, ride safely.
RK​

I rode the TAT in 2008 and understand some of the route has changed a bit, specially out west.
It was a huge amount of fun to do and would go in a heartbeat if I had the time. If there were to be a next time, I'd get a smaller bike than the 1150 GSA I used, even though it was no problem for me.
As one gets older the big bike is just a handful on the single track whereas a lighter 400-700 class bike would be a breeze in comparison.

Good day,

Thank you for the input. I have 06 F650gs Dakar which I think would be well suited to such a trip although I wonder how it would handle true single track loaded with gear.

Would folks recommend procuring something like a used XR650L, KLR or similar just for a one way ride?

I may try a portion on my own from TN to Colorado since I have family in Denver. With a reliable cycle would this be reasonable or should I try to find at least on riding partner for safety or in case of a breakdown? I have done long solo touring before but with only mini excursions off paved rural highways.

Be well, ride safely.
RK

Good day,

Thank you for the input. I have 06 F650gs Dakar which I think would be well suited to such a trip although I wonder how it would handle true single track loaded with gear.

Would folks recommend procuring something like a used XR650L, KLR or similar just for a one way ride?

I may try a portion on my own from TN to Colorado since I have family in Denver. With a reliable cycle would this be reasonable or should I try to find at least on riding partner for safety or in case of a breakdown? I have done long solo touring before but with only mini excursions off paved rural highways.

Be well, ride safely.
RK

Good day,

Be well, ride safely.
RK

I would think the F650gs would be a very good bike for this ride. Frankly, you wouldn't be gaining anything with an XR650, KLR or DR as they all weigh about the same and have similar riding/power characteristics. As far as single track, it's really pretty dependent on your own skill level. Any of those bikes should be able to manage single track, although they could be a handful if dropped (depending on severity of the track and your physical size) based on their weight. That's where a riding partner can be a back saver.

Decision to ride with a partner is also individual, although having a SPOT device could serve as a backup of the defecation really hits the oscillation.

Sounds like a great trip...good luck with whatever you decide!

When

Good day,

Having been nudged into semi-retirement by the Pandemic, I am looking at some long touring trips before age precludes such adventures.
I would like inquire about experiences on the Trans America Trail and perhaps consider organizing a trip with fellow riders for part or all of the route. I am in TN. so it would be East to West.

Thank you all.

Be well, ride safely.
RK​

What time frame do you have in mind? I am in Texas,however, I may be able to do some or all, depending!

What time frame do you have in mind? I am in Texas,however, I may be able to do some or all, depending!

Good day,

I am not certain regarding this summer, but if I can manage part of the eastern TAT it would probably be in August or September.
Have you traveled any of the route previously?

Thanks,
Be well, ride safely.
RK

Back