• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

95 R1100RSL Project

ianrice

Hi everyone, my name is Ian and I am a 20 year old motorcycle enthusiast from Kentucky. My family has had a long history with BMW motorcycles, so I have been interested in them for as long as I can remember. One in particular that always stood out to me was the R1150RS. I have had a diecast model of one for at least the past 10 years, and always wanted to buy one one day. A little over a month ago I found a 1995 R1100RSL with 47k miles locally on facebook marketplace for the bargain price of $500, not running and looking to be in pretty rough shape. The description stated that the bike did not run, presumably due to not getting any fuel, and did not have working brakes. This particular RS also sat outside for a number of years. I contacted the seller to try to make plans to get it, but someone else had already committed to buying it. I upped my offer to $600 in case that fell through. Luckily, it did, and the next day the seller said he would hold it for me to get it that night. After going with a friend and my grandfather to get it, this is what I wound up owning. Not quite the pristine R1150RS I always envisioned, but close enough for me.

(Excuse the messy garage, we just moved and have not had time to organize)

IMG_9349.jpg

IMG_9353.jpg

I started taking the bike apart that night and was pleasantly surprised by how clean it was underneath all the bodywork.

IMG_9362.jpg

My friend thought it was the fuel pump causing the bike not to start, and he was correct. After hooking up a jump box to the bike the fuel pump just made a short gurgling noise instead of priming. We borrowed a fuel pump from another member of the local MOA club and were able to get it running that same weekend after draining the tank and filling it up with fresh gas.

After flushing fluids, with an especially tricky stuck oil filter that took about two weeks to actually get out, and bleeding the front brake I was able to take the RS on my first slow ride around my front yard.

IMG_0073.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

The RS beside my brother and I's R90/6, formerly owned by my grandfather before he decided to pass it down to us.

IMG_0065.jpg

I kept having a pretty severe oil smoke problem, which went away after I drained the old oil that had almost turned to tar out of the airbox. Must've been overfilled at the last oil change.

After getting to "ride" it and determine that overall everything works as it should (even the ABS from what I can tell from 10mph stops!), I started polishing paint and overall just detailing every part I could.

I started with the gas tank, which shined up nicely after wetsanding with 5000-grit sandpaper to remove the oxidation and then machine polishing. I ceramic coated every painted and plastic surface with Gtechniq CSL.

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0128.jpg

The paint isn't as nice as I would like, but compared to how it used to look I am happy.

I moved on to the side fairings and headlight fairing next. This bike had been down on the throttle side at some point so the corner beside the turn signals was pretty rough. I touched that up as good as I could using Hellrot touch up paint from my dads old 1995 M3. That color matches surprisingly well once it dries. The existing paint I made as nice as I could by wetsanding with 5000 grit as well. I followed the same method for the windshield which is really similar to headlight restoration on older cars with plastic headlight lenses.

The turn signal/headlight controls I was able to revive by wetsanding and polishing as well to remove the oxidation and bring the color back to them. They were very faded. The plastic lenses for the gauges I polished and ceramic coated and look mostly new. I scrubbed the seats to get the mold off of them and they look good enough. I might replace the rear seat since it is torn and they are cheap on ebay.

Here is what the keys look like after cleaning, the bottom is clean and the top was how they both looked before.

IMG_9478.jpg

These next pics are how it sits as of today. I still have a few pieces to finish detailing, but cosmetically it is starting to be getting there. I ordered a new front wheel to replace the current one as it is bent, and a new rear master cylinder to get the rear brakes working. A new headlight is also on order.

IMG_0141.jpg

IMG_0142.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0144.jpg

IMG_0143.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

I will post more updates once I get more done, hopefully only a couple of weeks away from being able to take it on my first street ride.

Great job, carry on! :thumb

Those are great bikes—I put 125k on my ‘95 RSL and still regret selling it. Enjoy the ride!

Best,
DeVern

Great to see the work you have done on your RSL. You are going to enjoy that motorcycle. Keep us up to date.

FANtasTIC! What a gem of a bike!!

My 93 R11RS has over 400K sMiles today. Oh, the adventures we've had.

When she clocked 200K Paul told me I should start looking for another bike since she couldn't last forever.

I ended up buying a 94 R11RSL and sold it after 175K miles. Neither one was worn out.

Ruby B. Goin' Ya'll is the best bike ever!

It makes me so happy to see your restoration! Many happy sMiles to you!

Voni
sMiling

"Hi everyone, my name is Ian and I am a 20 year old motorcycle enthusiast from Kentucky. "

Damn fine first post, young man! In fact, its probably the best first post in the history of this MOA Forum. Nice work on a great bike. :thumb:thumb

Thanks for the replies everyone, cool hearing from other people who like these bikes. I haven't done a whole lot to the RS recently besides replacing the headlight and putting a new front wheel on it.

The broken headlight.

IMG_0243.jpg

Front end taken apart. Cleaned a little bit before I put it back together.

IMG_0246.jpg

New headlight installed.

IMG_0249.jpg

64307467505__B55A5D0E-6BC6-444E-868F-87399F4253A7.jpg

Pretty bad bend.

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0256.jpg

Used wheel from ebay installed. Even came with a good condition 3 year old Michelin road 3.

64308232907__2961B7D1-45EF-423B-8904-E99A5292DC20.jpg

Back