Thread: R27 Engine Rebuild Stand

R27 Engine Rebuild Stand

Cycle Works no longer will supply an engine rebuild stand. How can I get a template for the four bolt pattern between the engine and the transmission? I intend to make my own stand, but I want it to be in hand when I remove the engine. I will appreciate any help. Regards, Elfenbein

Do you have access to steel strap or angle iron? Do you have an electric drill? Do you have a bench vise? Do you have some scrap cardboard? Do you have a pencil and utility knife? How about welding equipment or knowledge of a local welder? And finally, can you pull the engine first to make a pattern?
    If you can answer yes to all of these questions then you are ready to start the project.
    Boxerbruce

Is this one it? Says R51/2, are they the same?

https://www.bmw-einzylinder.de/Start.../pdf/V5017.pdf
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Just for completeness for others here on the forum, the OP also asked this question on the Vintage BMW Motorcycle Owner's forum. There were some interesting responses there as well:

https://vintagebmw.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=16898
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by 1074 View Post
    Do you have access to steel strap or angle iron? Do you have an electric drill? Do you have a bench vise? Do you have some scrap cardboard? Do you have a pencil and utility knife? How about welding equipment or knowledge of a local welder? And finally, can you pull the engine first to make a pattern?
    If you can answer yes to all of these questions then you are ready to start the project.
    I plan to use a Northern Tool or Summit Racing engine stand as a base... They fold up and have a place to insert the yoke that holds the base plate. I will fabricate the yoke and the engine mount. I got a drawing number V5017 in a reply to my post on another site referred to below. Thank you for your response.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Is this one it? Says R51/2, are they the same?

https://www.bmw-einzylinder.de/Start.../pdf/V5017.pdf
    I got that drawing from another web site. It looks like the left side of the drawing is for R51 bikes. The right side is for R24 through R25. I don't know if the R27 has the same bolt pattern. The bolt pattern is what I am interested in. I don't want to take the engine out and then build the stand. I can use a 1000 pound engine stand from a supply source such as Summit or Northern Tool that is collapsible and then adding a yoke and engine mounting plate to it...