• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Am I crazy or is the oilhead the best beemer ever (half serious)

cstelluti

Picked up a unicorn 01 GS from one of the MOA members. 13,000 miles, the suspension was upgraded and a few things here and there. But man, I can’t believe Email how fantastic this thing is. My experience prior was a old multistrada 1100, FJR 1300 and WR Enduro. I can’t believe how well this thing does it all, and has plenty of power. I’m sure if I rode a newer model it would blow it out of the water but, am I wrong in thinking this thing is the cats meow?

Welcome to the forum! They say the best motorcycle is the one that fits your butt and you smile while riding!! :) Glad you found your unicorn. Drop a picture here to let us see what you got!

Picked up a unicorn 01 GS from one of the MOA members. 13,000 miles, the suspension was upgraded and a few things here and there. But man, I can’t believe Email how fantastic this thing is. My experience prior was a old multistrada 1100, FJR 1300 and WR Enduro. I can’t believe how well this thing does it all, and has plenty of power. I’m sure if I rode a newer model it would blow it out of the water but, am I wrong in thinking this thing is the cats meow?

I've got an R1100RT as my main.

I've owned almost every version of BMW motorcycle including a number of Bricks. A K1100RS will blow your mind with how fast and intuitive its is. Airheads have all been great for days of riding.

I think the R1150 would be a choice especially because of the 6 speed. Then again, with the spline and stick coil failures reported, maybe not.

Newer Boxers are very nice and also, very expensive to repair. I don't like the body work or windshields on any of them.

I have 90,000 mile on mine and thought it's getting a bit long in the tooth but I looked at how easy it is to repair and troubleshoot and opted out for a newer model. Just spent some cash and got some new paint and put some miles on it and it feels like an old friend.

I've got an R1100RT as my main.
Newer Boxers are very nice and also, very expensive to repair. I don't like the body work or windshields on any of them.

I have 90,000 mile on mine and thought it's getting a bit long in the tooth but I looked at how easy it is to repair and troubleshoot and opted out for a newer model. Just spent some cash and got some new paint and put some miles on it and it feels like an old friend.

Yeah. I've got a 2001 R1100RT. Still like the looks of the bike, even though I have become accustomed to the angular look of the new ones, and even though my RT has definitely gotten some blemishes at this point. I've got 223k miles on her (most are mine, not all) and the ability to do the repairs on her myself is an absolute plus.

Picked up a unicorn 01 GS from one of the MOA members. 13,000 miles, the suspension was upgraded and a few things here and there. But man, I can’t believe how fantastic this thing is. My experience prior was a old multistrada 1100, FJR 1300 and WR Enduro. I can’t believe how well this thing does it all, and has plenty of power. I’m sure if I rode a newer model it would blow it out of the water but, am I wrong in thinking this thing is the cats meow?

I recall that someone on this Forum once said that Oilheads will one day have a reputation similar what the Airheads currently possess, reliable, easy to work on with good availability of parts. Even a non-mechanical person like me can complete the services.

My '98 R1100RT has 235,000 kms (146,000 miles). I have never hesitated to take it anywhere. One summer I rode it from Ontario to southern CA and then out to Cape Breton Island. The only issue was operator inattention to the rear tire tread, which fortunately was only a minor hiccup on the the trip.

So in all likelihood, at least in my opinion, you are not crazy. :)

CSTELLUTI is very close with his observation. I'd make one minor change - its MY oilhead that was the best Beemer ever. :laugh

I think the R1100RS is arguably a soon-to-be BMW classic motorcycle.

As for the "best", I think the early (single spark) R1150 bikes are close to the top.

Funny, recently having a casual conversation with the owner of a BMW a franchise, about my high mileage R1100 RS. He chuckled and said it probably had a resale value of about $500. I didn’t debate it, but said it is valuable to me, since I did the miles and know the machine. I’ve spent double that in the last 24 months on maintenance.

As for the "best", I think the early (single spark) R1150 bikes are close to the top.

Funny, recently having a casual conversation with the owner of a BMW a franchise, about my high mileage R1100 RS. He chuckled and said it probably had a resale value of about $500. I didn’t debate it, but said it is valuable to me, since I did the miles and know the machine. I’ve spent double that in the last 24 months on maintenance.

Well that is not a dealership I would ever take a bike to trade-in on a newer one, for sure. I understand low ball trade-in offers but this one is downright insulting. Voni sold her R1100RSL with 175,000 miles on it (not Big Red) for several thousand dollars a few years ago. They are not really high value classics yet but they are becoming so. We wouldn't sell Big Red with 414,000 miles for $500.

Paul,

I Know exactly what you mean. I had toyed with the idea of selling mine, 2000 silver R1100 RS when it had about 65,000 miles. I priced it at $3200 I think, but got a few sub $2000 offers. It was at that point that I’ve decided to just maintain it, and pile on the miles. It’s dependable, paid for and as M_stock10506 said, I can repair it myself.

Well that is not a dealership I would ever take a bike to trade-in on a newer one, for sure. I understand low ball trade-in offers but this one is downright insulting. Voni sold her R1100RSL with 175,000 miles on it (not Big Red) for several thousand dollars a few years ago. They are not really high value classics yet but they are becoming so. We wouldn't sell Big Red with 414,000 miles for $500.

Today I joined a couple of my friends in washing and photographing an older friend’s bikes, as he has reached the point of “thinning his herd”. When we were done, his ‘01 R1150GS was fired up and I was surprised by how smooth and quiet that motor was with 110k on the clock. Especially so when compared to my 2018 wethead GS, which emits sounds like an old Maytag washer at idle. Reminds me why I still miss my ‘95 RSL that I sold; the oilheads are great bikes.

Best,
DeVern

The best BMW models are the ones that begin with a "K"...
The ultimate being the mighty K1300S. Best. Bike. Ever.
🙂

A couple of years ago I picked up an '01 R1150GS single spark, second year of production, from a friend. Best bike ever. My '87 K75S is a close second (bought it from the friend's brother).

I've put about 30K on each bike, and they are both around 85K.

Enjoying mine,

You guys! You all know the 1100S is the absolute machine!
Yes sir after a great number of years on my R75 (don't know the slash 5 or 6) and having a few Japanese sport bikes before and after, I really like this R1100S. When I need a walker I might get a Bagger but not now.

I own a time machine, a 1998 75th Anniversary R1100R
59 thousand kilometers on it
Factory windscreen, tank bag, panniers and silver large dry bag with the scuba-suit zipper.

Absolutely love it

my forever bike

Agree with Paul and others that the single spark 1150’s are a high point in the BMW universe — I’ve had mine for almost 20 years, while many other bikes have come and gone through my garage during that time. However, I’ve — reluctantly — put mine up for sale on the oilhead marketplace. I’ve got a newer BMW (F700GS) that is amazingly capable, and I just added a Royal Enfield INTerceptor 650 to the fold. So, maybe someone will find my trusty R bike a good fit for their needs, but if not, I’ll still be smiling.

Back