Thread: Linked Brake Usage - 2020 K1600B

Linked Brake Usage - 2020 K1600B

I have been told that for this model BMW there is really no need to use the back brake since this bike is equipped with linked brakes. My question... is it safe just to use the front brake not only for maximum stopping power but also for slow speed maneuvers and slow speed turns. Being a previous HD owner I am used to not using the front brake for slow speed maneuvers and turns.

Left Coast Rider
    You have been inaccurately informed. While activating the front brakes also activates the rear, using the rear brake pedal activates the rear brake only.

I am not sure if the rear brake is fully activated when using the front brake lever only.

Personally, I would continue to use your brakes as you always have.

Hope this helps.

Under normal and emergency braking, the front lever only would be best - I've played with this on my R1200R, and the ABS/Linking system does weird things with the rear pedal if you are already braking with the front, which under extreme hard braking could be very distracting/startling.

For slow speed stuff if all you want is a little rear brake, then use the rear brake, but if you are planning on using the front in conjunction, leave the pedal alone.

Best suggestion is find a parking lot and play with it, so you can get a feel for what's going on with YOUR bike. Under normal braking, I found that the linked brakes were applying slightly less rear than I would normally have used, but I had to "push past" the linked system engagement point to apply more. At threshold (near ABS activation), I suspect the system would be able to do a better job of maximum rear braking combined with front than I would without engaging ABS. For slow speed maneuvers, I just use the rear.

Both of the above responses bring up good points, but it must also depend on the particular conditions under which you need to slow and/or stop.

My '04 RT has the whizzy brakes, and aside from the (slight) noise and the extra power drain, and maybe the extra time required to properly flush them, I like them - if I need to grab a handful, it stops NOW. (I've witnessed a CHP officer do a VERY high "stoppie" when some f'n idjit pulled a left in front of him.) It also helps that the front suspension keeps the bike more level, instead of nose-diving.
    I use the rear brake only for slow-speed stuff (and to flash the brake light at tailgators), as that permits better throttle control.

I have no idea what percentage of braking power is applied to the rear brake by the "front only" hydraulic distribution system, either on my bike or yours. But in every road test I've ever read, the best (shortest) braking distances were had by using both brakes.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Pauls1150 View Post
    I have no idea what percentage of braking power is applied to the rear brake by the "front only" hydraulic distribution system, either on my bike or yours. But in every road test I've ever read, the best (shortest) braking distances were had by using both brakes.