Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Should I be paying for a brake bleed six weeks after buying a new BMW?

Should I be paying for a brake bleed six weeks after buying a new BMW?

ETA: the dealership has apologized and refunded the charge.

I bought a 2021 F750GS as a new bike on April 30 with 17 miles on the odometer. The dealership made a point of telling me those 17 miles were from a loop their service techs ride each of their bikes after setup in order to verify the bike is in proper working order.

Less than six weeks (and about 1,500 miles) later I had to pay to have the brakes bled (they claimed the soft brakes were an annual maintenance item). Based on the significantly improved feel and performance of the brakes since being bled I'm of the opinion my bike was not originally set up properly and was delivered to me with air in the front brake line. BMW Customer Relations hasn't been responsive beyond one voicemail they left me asking to discuss the parameters of my case (they've ignored three attempts on my part to talk to the assigned agent)

Am I out of line to expect that a brand new BMW should come with properly working brakes? Has anyone else here been charged for 'annual' maintenance six weeks into ownership of a new motorcycle? How long is reasonable for a BMW agent to return my calls?
    Last edited by henksijgers; 05-22-2021 at 09:12 PM. Reason: The dealership resolved the situation to my satisfaction

Odd! Unless the brake fluid was old and stale, why would you have to flush it so soon?!

Am I missing something?

Someone had a boat payment due.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

2021 F750GS -new bike -on April 30

Less than six weeks (and about 1,500 miles) this doesnít add up less than 2weeks.
    I had to pay to have the brakes bled (they claimed the soft brakes were an annual maintenance item).
    Based on the significantly improved feel and performance of the brakes since being bled I'm of the opinion my bike was not originally set up properly and was delivered to me with air in the front brake line.

BMW Customer Relations hasn't been responsive beyond one voicemail they left me asking to discuss the parameters of my case (they've ignored three attempts on my part to talk to the assigned agent).
    From my experience the dealer drives the level of service they provide by providing the information about your complaint.

Am I out of line to expect that a brand new BMW should come with properly working brakes?
    No, brakes are a critical element of safety if they are not working properly at that stage of the bikes lifecycle I would expect a warranty claim to be filed by the dealer with no charges for anything else.
    Has anyone else here been charged for 'annual' maintenance six weeks into ownership of a new motorcycle?
    Can you please attach a copy of the service invoice including the dealership information to your post so we can all see who the dealer is and know who this is.

How long is reasonable for a BMW agent to return my calls? Dealer drives these conversations, the MOA has a liaison that might be able to assist you.

This treatment does not seem appropriate under the circumstances you have listed, please get a copy of your warranty book and determine what action you can take.

Best regards,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsclo View Post
    Odd! Unless the brake fluid was old and stale, why would you have to flush it so soon?!

Am I missing something?
    That's sort of my question too. It's hard to imagine a 2021 model has old enough brake fluid to be stale. It's been soft since day one, but I made the assumption this was just a characteristic of the bike. But the brakes were so different after the flush I realized my original assumption was wrong.

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Iím thinking a customer complaint about soft brakes on a new bike, remedied by a brake fluid flush, is a warranty item.
    (If I understand what went on correctly)
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

ETA: based on conversation with the dealer's GM I don't believe that BMW Customer Relations contacted them. The service writer has admitted he could've better handled our original conversation and the GM explained to me the unique circumstances of how unscheduled Saturday service is handled and why try to avoid handling diagnoses of bike issues in order to maximize the service provided.

Quote Originally Posted by REDC650GT View Post
    2021 F750GS -new bike -on April 30

Less than six weeks (and about 1,500 miles) this doesn’t add up less than 2weeks.
    I had to pay to have the brakes bled (they claimed the soft brakes were an annual maintenance item).
    Based on the significantly improved feel and performance of the brakes since being bled I'm of the opinion my bike was not originally set up properly and was delivered to me with air in the front brake line.

BMW Customer Relations hasn't been responsive beyond one voicemail they left me asking to discuss the parameters of my case (they've ignored three attempts on my part to talk to the assigned agent).
    From my experience the dealer drives the level of service they provide by providing the information about your complaint.

Am I out of line to expect that a brand new BMW should come with properly working brakes?
    No, brakes are a critical element of safety if they are not working properly at that stage of the bikes lifecycle I would expect a warranty claim to be filed by the dealer with no charges for anything else.
    Has anyone else here been charged for 'annual' maintenance six weeks into ownership of a new motorcycle?
    Can you please attach a copy of the service invoice including the dealership information to your post so we can all see who the dealer is and know who this is.

How long is reasonable for a BMW agent to return my calls? Dealer drives these conversations, the MOA has a liaison that might be able to assist you.

This treatment does not seem appropriate under the circumstances you have listed, please get a copy of your warranty book and determine what action you can take.

Best regards,

Chris
    Thanks Chris: I reviewed my warranty book and that was why I contacted BMW Customer Relations. If the dealer is driving the conversation that would explain why the agent is unresponsive, given the attitude of the service writer. Talking to some local BMW riders last Sunday I got the impression I'm not the first to run into issues with their service department and they gave me recommendations on alternate BMW dealerships (that said, the alternatives are far less convenient than my current one). I'm disappointed that the agent appears to be avoiding speaking to me: it doesn't bode well for my BMW ownership experience.

I've been riding for sixteen years, and this is the fifteenth bike I've bought over the years (I've had anywhere from one to three in the garage at any given time) across eleven brands. This is the first time I've ever encountered a situation like this.

How can I get help from the MOA Liaison?
    Last edited by henksijgers; 05-23-2021 at 01:53 AM. Reason: Better understanding of the dealership's Saturday operations approach

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    Iím thinking a customer complaint about soft brakes on a new bike, remedied by a brake fluid flush, is a warranty item.
    (If I understand what went on correctly)
    OM
    That's what I thought, and said so twice to the service writer.

Quote Originally Posted by henksijgers View Post
    How can I get help from the MOA Liaison?
    CONSUMERLIAISON@BMWMOA.ORG.
    Try this link.

Good Luck,

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by REDC650GT View Post
    CONSUMERLIAISON@BMWMOA.ORG.
    Try this link.

Good Luck,

Chris
    Thank you,

Henk

Am I out of line to expect that a brand new BMW should come with properly working brakes? Has anyone else here been charged for 'annual' maintenance six weeks into ownership of a new motorcycle? How long is reasonable for a BMW agent to return my calls?

I would have told them to pack sand. There is no way you should need to bleed brakes in 1,500 miles. It should have been a warranty item. I would have argued there is either an issue with the brakes, or the bike wasn't set up properly.

I bleed brakes ever couple years just to flush out the old fluid and remove moisture, but years ago before I paid attention to brake service I might got several years without touching the brakes.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Which dealership are you working with? This certainly sounds like it should have been handled as a warranty issue or customer goodwill issue by a good dealer. Doesn’t sound like you are having any luck getting through to the service manager; have you tried speaking directly to the dealer principal/owner? That might be faster and more effective than BMW customer Service or even the BMWMOA liaison.

Definitely would like to know which dealer is involved, tho.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST ó 1984 R80 G/S-PD ó 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C ó 2010 K1300GT ó 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

That's sort of my question too. It's hard to imagine a 2021 model has old enough brake fluid to be stale. It's been soft since day one, but I made the assumption this was just a characteristic of the bike. But the brakes were so different after the flush I realized my original assumption was wrong.
    When your bike was put together from the crate, bet you they filled the brakes with an opened bottle of brake fluid that had been sitting on a bench.

Quote Originally Posted by kevinsclo View Post
    When your bike was put together from the crate, bet you they filled the brakes with an opened bottle of brake fluid that had been sitting on a bench.
    Unless I am missing something, the bike comes fully assembled. A few items need to be adjusted, maybe a few items need to be bolted on, but the brakes were filled and bleed at the factory. The dealer tech doing his set up ride should have caught it and dealt with it then.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

I can understand that things happen, that the fluid could be stale or someone failed to do their job, but you should be able to confidently ride that bike out of the dealership knowing that it's ready to go. If it's not, that's their fault. Period. They should have been happy to bleed the brakes, replace the fluid, and send you on your way knowing that they've done their job in keeping their customer safe and happy. At NO charge to you.

Just my opinion. A good business would have done that.