• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Chain Woes - NOT

pglaves

I was prepping our two G310GS bikes for traveling this summer. Among tasks I decided to replace the chains. So with 25,000 miles on the original OEM chain on my bike I proceeded to replace the chain. I removed the old chain; made sure I had the same number of links on the new chain; and put the new chain on the bike. I didn't move the axle or adjusters at all and the new chain went right on and, just like the chain I removed, it was in specification for chain adjustment. So much for all that pesky chain adjustment needed - NOT.

Now I do know that once a chain starts to wear/elongate it does so progressively quickly. But at 25,000 miles the old chain had not elongated any perceptible amount.

I replaced the chains with DID XRing Gold chains. We shall see how these compare with the OEM chains after the next 20 or 25 thousand miles. :clap

Just out of curiosity, I would have been tempted to keep using the old chain, at least on one of your bikes.

I was prepping our two G310GS bikes for traveling this summer. Among tasks I decided to replace the chains. So with 25,000 miles on the original OEM chain on my bike I proceeded to replace the chain. I removed the old chain; made sure I had the same number of links on the new chain; and put the new chain on the bike. I didn't move the axle or adjusters at all and the new chain went right on and, just like the chain I removed, it was in specification for chain adjustment. So much for all that pesky chain adjustment needed - NOT.

Now I do know that once a chain starts to wear/elongate it does so progressively quickly. But at 25,000 miles the old chain had not elongated any perceptible amount.

I replaced the chains with DID XRing Gold chains. We shall see how these compare with the OEM chains after the next 20 or 25 thousand miles. :clap

Those that complain extensively about how bad, how much trouble chain drive are not going to be happy to read this. :brad
OM

Just out of curiosity, I would have been tempted to keep using the old chain, at least on one of your bikes.

I was. But our summer travels will soon include a trip from Kansas to the rally in Montana and back. And I didn't really want to be messing with a chain somewhere during those 2,500 to 3,000 miles. Not after 25,000 miles already on the chain. I would have been pushing 30,000 miles by then so decided to decide that 25K was enough.

Paul, did you peen over the master link, use one of those new fancy master links or use the “spin/pressure” tool?
TIA
OM

Getting gold links is enough reason to change any chain.

I just bought my first bike with a chain in many years. 2013 F700GS with 7,776 miles on it. Annie has always had at least one bike with a chain on it, so I remain familiar with maintaining them. The more I learn about chains the less I worry about them and the longer they last.

With LC drive shafts seeming to develop U-joint issues anywhere after 30K miles a chain seems quite reasonable. JSNS

Paul, did you peen over the master link, use one of those new fancy master links or use the “spin/pressure” tool?
TIA
OM

The chains came with clip style master links in the boxes. I did not use them. I bought rivet-style DID master links. I used my chain tool to set the side plates and then to spread the tips of the master link pins. O rings and grease applied, of course.

The chains came with clip style master links in the boxes. I did not use them. I bought rivet-style DID master links. I used my chain tool to set the side plates and then to spread the tips of the master link pins. O rings and grease applied, of course.

:thumb

Last I was aware, over 50hp, a riveted master-link was called for. Under 50hp, clip style ML was fine.
OM

:thumb

Last I was aware, over 50hp, a riveted master-link was called for. Under 50hp, clip style ML was fine.
OM

Probably true from a chain stress standpoint although with the sideplate in place I don't see why that matters. But unless it is an emergency I refuse to use clip type links. We have had bikes "throw" chains due to clip type master links coming off on three occasions, once even with the application of RTV to supposedly capture the clip. Two times were on a trip to and from New Mexico and my bike tossed the chain on Friday in El Paso and Voni's did it on Sunday on I-10 coming home. And those two chains had been installed by different people and had been on the bikes for more than 5,000 miles so I don't blame operator error or infant mortality for either case. Another was in Montana on US 89 about halfway between Browning and Kiowa. In this case I had a new chain I had just bought with me and installed it beside the road with a clip style link.***

But as soon as we got to Kalispell I went to a MC shop and got a rivet style link installed.

One big issue that has been avoided is that sometimes a chain coming off knocks a hole in the engine case. Sometimes a rear wheel lockup is possible. So I use rivet style links.

Also, when we were touring in Africa I didn't throw the chain but did notice that the clip was missing. The tour operator did not have a spare link or chain. The sideplate was still in place so I did a figure-eight with safety wire in place of a clip which worked fine for the rest of the two months we were there.

*** Sidenote about the one in Montana: We stopped at the BMW dealership in Sturgis, SD because I had cracked the faceshield on my helmet and needed a new one. While the parts guy was installing the new shield Voni asked me if I had a spare master link with me. I said no. Instead of just a master link I bought a new chain with the correct number of links for my F650 Dakar, with a master link in the box of course. Eight hundred miles later the chain got tossed into the weeds so I installed the new chain.

Last edited:
Back